What's so good about this ?

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I've watched this show a few times, but I just don't get the appeal. It just seemed a bit boring to me. Did I not give it a fair shake in just a few episodes? Can anyone tell me what I am missing here? This show is just so popular, and I don't get why.

I think it's the fact that kids in the 5th grade actually know more than many adults. I'll watch the show with my son (7th grader) and he just can't believe how adults can miss easy questions. I think that's where the humor lies.

teresa

DTVUSA Member
That's it exactly. If you watch it with the kids, smart ones, it makes them feel smart and hopefully they keep wanting to be smart. For us adults you always say, "I knew that, I just wanted to see if you did." They hate that.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Are the same kids on the show each episode, or do they have different kids come in each week? I guess I can see how that can be entertaining. Sort of like how Doogie Howser was fun to watch.

The kids are the same for each episode but as they move on in age, a new group of kids comes on the show. One of the kids actually ended up play the daughter in the show that Kelsey Grammar and Patricia Heaton were on.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
It's so funny watching the kids outwit the adults. It's a good show, but...I can think of a hundred different shows I'd rather watch before taking the time to watch this one.

bighoss

DTVUSA Member
i have to agree with the majority here in that i don't particularly get the success of this show. maybe it has something to due with the fact i am not a foxworthy fan?:D

jigyasa

DTVUSA Member
I love the show. It has a different concept and a lot different humor. The simple questions and a "successful entrepreneur’s" inability to answer it make the show so popular. And to make it better, a 5th grader can do the job better and faster. :)

Ok, so the kids are smart, but that doesn't mean that the adults aren't. The only difference is that it's been a long time since the adults studied or can remember what they were thought when they were in 5th grade. I guess there's a certain kind of appeal watching this, but after a while its loses "steam".

Adding to icepricessa's comments, smart is a relative term. Kids in the 5th grade are smart at what they are learning at the time. Put me in a 5th grade class and I have no doubt that I'd fail any tests given unless I was given time to prepare. It's simply because I don't remember much of what I was taught in the 5th grade.

myopicmatt

DTVUSA Jr. Member
The only reason that the show is popular is because the kids are cute. I'm sure the show creation went something like this.

We need to create a game show like millionaire mixed with the cuteness of the darnedest things kids will do but we also want NASCAR fans to watch.... Ahhh perfect Are You Smarter Than a 5thg Grader featuring Jeff Foxworthy

The only reason that the show is popular is because the kids are cute. I'm sure the show creation went something like this.

We need to create a game show like millionaire mixed with the cuteness of the darnedest things kids will do but we also want NASCAR fans to watch.... Ahhh perfect Are You Smarter Than a 5thg Grader featuring Jeff Foxworthy
rotflmao! so true! i could see that actually being the case for the show!

You're probably closer to the truth than we'll ever know. I do like to watch the show every now and then just to see what I can remember and it turns out that I don't remember much. LOL

Taki

DTVUSA Member
I never even bother watching this silly show. No entertainment for me what so ever. And this idea that an adult can't remember what they were taught in the 5th grade is crazy. You should remember virtually everything you learned in the 5th grade. I know I do.

We watch it as an educational venue. I am convinced however, that the questions presented on the show are not a true representation of average student in each grade level. If these are genuine questions in each grade level, then I have to believe that they are pooling from private schools that specialize in the intellectually gifted.

In our public school systems many first graders are learning to read. They have not mastered 3rd grade level skills. I also wonder if the students on the show are not actually prepared ahead of time to the questions and answers.

MacGyver

DTVUSA Member
My kids love this show for obvious reasons. But, I don't mind them watching it. By the time they watch the same episode two or three times, they know the answers to the questions. They also wanted the board game and the computer dvd game for Christmas last year.

There are two reasons I hate this show:

1. Foxworthy. I hate that man, he is so not funny, it's embarrassing to watch him up there.

2. Frankly, some of those questions aren't fifth grade. And while the kids are certainly smart, knowing the name of a particular president weeks after you were taught it doesn't mean you're smarter than the adult heart surgeon or engineer. :\

I think it's funny about how these kids know more than what we adults know...or I should say remember from when we were in school. It makes people realize that our kids are actually very smart...

datadee

DTVUSA Member
We have to realize that the kids are in school and hear this stuff all the time. We adults have been out of school for a very long time and have forgotten it all. I watch it with my octagenarian parents and we have a ball trying to remember all that stuff!