Question: Whats the best antenna setup configuration .. Location: Frederick, MD. ?

Dkumar

DTVUSA Rookie
TV Fool is the link to TV Fool report for my location. What is the best configuration (antenna's , preamps etc) which will suite for my location? I want to get local channels such as ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox.

I think i am between 40 to 60 miles of TV towers. I am looking for indoor or attic antenna.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Your stations are quite distant, spread all over the compass, and mostly edge (coming over a hill or mountain). My first instinct is to point an Antennacraft MXU59 or Antenna Direct 91XG
to about 90 degrees. If you plan on more than 1 or 2 TV sets or a long length of cable you will need an amp.

Also, your report was done at ground level. You'll need to get your antenna as high as possible for dependable results.

:welcome: Dkumar,

I think i am between 40 to 60 miles of TV towers. I am looking for indoor or attic antenna.
There are several stations 30-35 miles away, but unfortunately they're twisting around some major obstacles. I'm afraid MrPogi is right. If you're determined to go through with this, it's going to be a big multi-antenna project. Indoor antennas are not in the equation, and even the attic seems unlikely. (How much ROOM do you have up there?! Any RF killers in the roof or walls???) I think you're looking at a few hundred dollars, several weeks of blood sweat and tears, and no guarantees at the end of the rainbow.

Not saying it's impossible. Occasionally we hear about miracles: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...nument-co-ota-results-3-antenna-solution.html

Rick

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Despite being 2nd edge the signals from Baltimore are quite strong. If you can fit a Winegard HD7697P in the attic, I'd go with that pointed at 101 degrees magnetic. A Winegard HD7694P may work also. You probably will need a pre/distribution amp. I do well with an Antennacraft 10G201 pre-amp.

MrPogi

Staff member
I don't know how I missed that CBS @ about 90 degrees is VHF-hi, that changes everything. I'm still going with my suggestion for UHF antenna, but adding an Antennacraft Y5-7-13 with a UVSJ - or go with dkreichen's suggestions.

I don't know how I missed that CBS @ about 90 degrees is VHF-hi, that changes everything.
Better get out the spectacles there, MrP, that's NBC at 91 degrees (101 magnetic). Still high VHF though, on RF11. There's another chance at CBS down at WJZ-TV RF13, if any red stations pull in through the roof.

I went through the TVF Report with a fine tooth comb, and best guess, with a HD7697P pointed at 101 mag, Dkumar could get this lineup:
WUTB MyN RF41
WBAL NBC RF11
WNUV CW RF40
WMAR ABC RF38
WMPB PBS RF29
WBFF FOX RF45
WJZ CBS RF13 [QUESTIONABLE]

Also possible, but unlikely:
WJLA ABC RF7 43* OFF
WUSA CBS RF9 43* OFF
WDCW CW RF50 37* OFF
WHUT PBS RF33 43* OFF

So it might not be as dire as I thought, IF (big IF) the attic plays nicely with RF waves. No one can say yea or nay, pontificating "From A Distance" [Bette Midler voice].

Rick

MrPogi

Staff member
Better get out the spectacles there, MrP, that's NBC at 91 degrees (101 magnetic). Still high VHF though, on RF11. There's another chance at CBS down at WJZ-TV RF13, if any red stations pull in through the roof.

I went through the TVF Report with a fine tooth comb, and best guess, with a HD7697P pointed at 101 mag, Dkumar could get this lineup:
WUTB MyN RF41
WBAL NBC RF11
WNUV CW RF40
WMAR ABC RF38
WMPB PBS RF29
WBFF FOX RF45
WJZ CBS RF13 [QUESTIONABLE]

Also possible, but unlikely:
WJLA ABC RF7 43* OFF
WUSA CBS RF9 43* OFF
WDCW CW RF50 37* OFF
WHUT PBS RF33 43* OFF

So it might not be as dire as I thought, IF (big IF) the attic plays nicely with RF waves. No one can say yea or nay, pontificating "From A Distance" [Bette Midler voice].

Rick
You know how I feel about indoor antennas, Mr. R! :yell: He may pull it off in the attic if the construction is favorable, though.

but all this discussion may be for naught. We haven't heard a peep from the OP!

M

Mother Hen

TV Antenna for Frederick, MD

We are in Frederick, MD & we got the Winegard HD8200U antenna & used a preamp. We aimed the antenna South East & we get all 4 major networks from Baltimore & 3 out of 4 from Washington, DC. It is an outdoor antenna, though. We have an HOA, but HOAs cannot prevent you from using an outdoor antenna. We tried indoor & attic systems, but they are a joke in Frederick, MD. Stick with a massive outdoor antenna and you will get excellent signal. I hope that helps!