What's the best comedy sitcom of all time?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Any era, any network, what do you think the best comedy sitcom of all time is?

So hard for me to pick. In the 80's I liked In Living Color, in the 90's it was Seinfeld, in the 2000's it was Friend's, and these days I'm back and forth between The Office and The Simpsons.

I totally loved that show as well, although it was a lot more of a sketch comedy show than a Sitcom, since it was much closer in design to a show like Saturday Night Live only with some unique twists.

As for sitcoms, I really can't pick only one!

The Simpsons would have to be one of my favorites though.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I totally loved that show as well, although it was a lot more of a sketch comedy show than a Sitcom, since it was much closer in design to a show like Saturday Night Live only with some unique twists.

As for sitcoms, I really can't pick only one!

The Simpsons would have to be one of my favorites though.
It's amazing how many famous and talented actors and comedians came from In Living Color too. One who I never thought would go further than that show was Jamie Foxx, but he's a bigger star now than Jim Carey or at least as of lately.

One of my favorite skits,

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gntgvQ76tHA[/YOUTUBE]

:)

What I find absolutely amazing about In Living Color is just how talented the entire cast was, even including the ones who never really made it that far after the show had ended. David Alan Grier for instance is a great comedian and Actor, and his career practically ended after In Living Color.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
C'mon, guys! Nobody's ever going to top:

• "It's a Bundyful Life," parts 1 and 2, complete with Sam Kinison as Al's 'guardian angel.'

• "Mr. Empty Pants," a cartoon strip by Peggy featuring Al's pathetic pratfalls which hits the big time.

• "Psycho Dad."

• NO MAAM: The National Organization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood.

• The "Ten Commandments."

• "Where the music stinks / And they water the drinks / At the nudie bar!"

• "Peg, I don't wanna go to our high school reunion. Can't we just forget the good times and get on with our lives?"

Lowbrow humor and satire just don't get any better than "MWC."

I have to say Married With Children is definitely one of the best Sitcoms ever, right up there with All In The Family,Sandford And Son, and a few others as some of my favorite Sitcoms ever. Clever writing, good jokes, and sometimes even thought provoking to some extent.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I guess I'm older than all of you because those shows pale with the classic antics and comedy of I Love Lucy. It's without a doubt the best comedy ever while also being a pioneering television show.

bm42

DTVUSA Member
I also have greatly enjoyed the shows already mentioned. As far as MWC, Christina Applegate is just great having moved on to movies and her own TV show. She has bounced back from breast cancer, lot of courage there. I always thought the funniest craziest show was Benny Hill. Too bad he seems to have had a brief troubled life. Currently, I get a big kick out of Two and a half Men. But probably Seinfeld is my favorite. I always remember remarking to others, how do they come up with this stuff.

I guess I'm older than all of you because those shows pale with the classic antics and comedy of I Love Lucy. It's without a doubt the best comedy ever while also being a pioneering television show.
Actually, I would agree that I Love Lucy is by far one of the best television shows of all time from ANY genre. There still are absolutely no shows like it, and the comedy works just as well today as it did all those years ago when it was first created. Truly a timeless show!

Orrymain

The show still airs every day around the world; that's greatness. I don't think it's been off the air since syndication began. It's not that I'm a big Lucille Ball fan or anything, but you just can't beat an episode of I Love Lucy.

Orrymain

Well - Jack O'Neill would agree with you about the Simpsons. I realize it has longevity, but I just couldn't put it in there with the greats.

The only thing that hurts The Simpsons legacy would be how much the writing for recent episodes have fallen off a steep cliff over the past decade or so, but the sad part is it's STILL better written than pretty much all other animated sitcoms that are still airing.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
I am torn between several..
  • All in the Family
  • The Mary Tyler Moore Show
  • Rowan & Martin's Laugh In
  • Tonight Show w/ Johnny Carson

Did I stray away from sitcoms? Sorry. These were the funniest of all time.

Orrymain

I actually don't refer to classic shows as sitcoms. Sitcoms are those 80's things that still happen. I believe the formal comedy or fully stated situation comedy is best. There's a difference.

Love Johnny Carson but he doesn't qualify. I sure miss him; he was the best at what he did. No one else has ever come close.

bm42

DTVUSA Member
To me, Seinfeld was just classic and do not know where they came up with their show ideas. 3rd rock from the sun was good, too. John Lithgow totally blew me away with his comic timing, etc. Always looked upon him for his incredible dramatic evil personna