What's the deal with HDMI cables?

Suzanne

DTVUSA Rookie
Could someone explain to me what the big deal is about HDMI cables? We just have a new TV and people are in our ears about using HDMI instead of what we had on the old TV. What's so special about them, except they cost more?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
They aren't all that special, and DON'T believe what the store tells you that you need expensive HDMI cables. HDMI cables carry both digital video AND audio over a single cable, and provide for DRM - digital rights management, or copy protection.

If you are using composite video cables - 3 cables, 1 for video and 2 for sound - there will be a big difference. Composite video is not capable of carrying HD video and surround sound. If you have component video - 3 video cables, plus 2 audio, you will see little difference between that and an HDMI cable.

People are regularly ripped off by salesmen when they buy a new TV, and talked into buying an overpriced HDMI cable. Why? not because an expensive cable is better. There is a HUGE profit margin on those cables!

Don't ever pay more than $20 for an HDMI cable unless it is more than 20 feet long or it's going to be buried in a wall.
Here's where I get mine: Monoprice.com HDMI Cable

Their BEST 6 foot HDMI cable will set you back less than $7 + shipping.

Suzanne

DTVUSA Rookie
Thank you for this explanation. It is going to save us from being ripped off. The store we go to here was selling them for considerably more than $20 and it sounds like it would have been a real waste.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Thanks for this explanation, Pogi. I've never really understood it. I need to let my sister know what you said; she doesn't get them either.