What's your favorite broadcast network?

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
I'd say it's a tie for me between CBS and NBC. Still watching NCIS and just started watching Person of Interest on CBS, but catch a lot of football on NBC.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
CBS #1, FOX #2 for scripted programming

I then watch "Castle" on ABC (Most ABC programming stinks).

Watch the Broncos (mostly on CBS) and Sunday Night Football on NBC.

Watch the Huskers when they are on ABC.

Otherwise, largely watch Me-TV and THIS (wish I could still get "The Cool TV").

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Aaron,

That's an impossible question for me to answer.

I enjoy FOX for NFL games, the Simpsons and the local Newscast and the (best) local Weathercast.

I enjoy PBS because I have a total of six feeds (including sub-channels) and I enjoy the science and history programming they provide, as well as Red Green and some British comedies. On the Mhz World channel alone, I receive English language News broadcasts from Tokyo, Russia, France, etc.

Then there are the 'Vintage TV' Channels, MeTV and Antenna TV that provide old shows like The Rockford files, Route 66 and Perry Mason, plus ThisTV which offers old movies.

Since I receive all of them FREE using antennas, at least so far, I haven't had to worry about a paid-for carrier shutting any off do to a contract dispute.

Jim

SWHouston

Staff member
A hands down decision for me with ABC.

However, I've been watching it since Marvin Zinler (one of several of their employees I've met) cleaned out the Chicken House and a lot of Slime in Ice Machines. :dancing:

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Overall CBS gets my vote. The CBS Sunday Morning Programming is one of the best shows on commercial TV for me. CBS & NBC are tops for HD picture quality.
I've always thought that CBS had the best picture quality too, why is that? Are their broadcasts in a higher resolution more often?? Fox NFL games are pretty good too.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I've always thought that CBS had the best picture quality too, why is that? Are their broadcasts in a higher resolution more often?? Fox NFL games are pretty good too.
When CSI Miami was on CBS in 5.1, it was like an HD eye aural gasm experience.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
CBS and NBC are broadcast in 1080i while ABC and FOX are broadcast in 720p (both of my CW stations are 720p). Meanwhile CBS O&Os (KCNC in my case) use their entire bandwith for HD rather than having subchannels. Their primary feed may be higher bit rate (lower compression) than NBC too, but I don't know that for sure.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
CBS and NBC are broadcast in 1080i while ABC and FOX are broadcast in 720p (both of my CW stations are 720p). Meanwhile CBS O&Os (KCNC in my case) use their entire bandwith for HD rather than having subchannels. Their primary feed may be higher bit rate (lower compression) than NBC too, but I don't know that for sure.
Wait, does broadcast resolution vary for each affiliate and state or is it like that straight across the board?

....that is a hard question and challenging...I LIKE THIS....

I'd have to say there's shows on EACH station I've found that I like....ABC has the soapy, trashy programming where CBS has your better real world styled shows like CSI and Elementry where FOX and CW the guilty pleasure of the likes of Family Guy and freaking Fringe........the only thing missing here is NBC and a THIS.........but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one day it'll throw out and well see one.....

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Wait, does broadcast resolution vary for each affiliate and state or is it like that straight across the board?
It varies based on the affiliate. Some affiliates compress the network feed to get more multicast and mobile channels on their signal, or run dual 720p channels. Some affiliates will up convert 720p to 1080i. Some affiliates will down convert 1080i to 720p. It really comes down to what the local station decides, and some smaller market stations stayed 480i well after the transition. PBS is natively 1080i, but most affiliates have multiple multicast channels, so the picture is rarely as crisp as the typical CBS or NBC affiliate.

J

Jedi Master

MeTV for classic programming and no reality shows. Its free and it beats the heck out of TV Land. CBS and NBC come in second and third.