What's your next TV or home entertainment purchase?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I'm good for the year until Christmas. I usually average a Blu-ray DVD or two each month if that counts. Earth Blu-ray edition just came out yesterday, so that'll be my next purchase, this weekend in fact.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I'm good for the year until Christmas. I usually average a Blu-ray DVD or two each month if that counts. Earth Blu-ray edition just came out yesterday, so that'll be my next purchase, this weekend in fact.
<-------- Earth Blu-ray edition added to weekend shopping list.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I'm looking into getting an XM Handheld receiver now. I think it was Jim1348's post (http://www.dtvusaforum.com/technical-dtv-hdtv-chat/6559-hd-radio-city.html#post26889) that sold me. ;)

Anyone else looking into making a purchase soon?
I purchase a Sony HD Radio for the house. I am impressed as the reviews rated it.

Something I want but not sure it's in the budget is one of those Netflix receivers and Blu-Ray players. I am looking to keep it down to $200 but it seems like a great idea where I live not to rent movies. Plus the stuff on the satellite is never what I want to watch.

I haven't looked into it much because I am not really sure or ready to make that purchase. I never buy the latest and greatest. I am lucky like the HD radio to buy something in only a year after it hits the market. I am a content person. I am typing this on a 1.66 GHz machine with 3/4G of RAM and it works just fine for most stuff I do.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
My wife will be getting a Zune HD for Christmas, for sure. Other than that, she also wants Pushing Daisies on BD, but we'll see if she's naughty or nice...

No need for a Netflix receiver, here; that's already built into my TiVo. What I would like is closed captioning, but that's apparently not forthcoming soon. :mad:

I do think I'm going to have to do something after October 20, DVR-wise. We have four DVRs, three of which are in service, two of which are analog DVRs, but on October 20, we lose analog cable. I can record cable programs on our digital DVR, and then transfer them to one of the analog DVRs -- we will see how well that works out. Some of the programming that we typically watch on the analog DVR is sometimes (inadvertently) copy blocked instead of just copy protected. So we might be looking at the prospect of getting another digital DVR... we'll see.

Regardless, there is no way to address the other analog DVR, except that we really only use it to record Weather Channel so we have the full daily forecast available when we wake up... I think we can just switch to recording the local early news and get the same thing.

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
I just received a new wifi internet radio via Brown Santa (UPS) yesterday. I think a netbook computer is next, although some may not consider it home entertainment. It will be home entertainment for me, though!

O-O

DTVUSA Member
My wife will be getting a Zune HD for Christmas, for sure. Other than that, she also wants Pushing Daisies on BD, but we'll see if she's naughty or nice...

No need for a Netflix receiver, here; that's already built into my TiVo. What I would like is closed captioning, but that's apparently not forthcoming soon. :mad:

I do think I'm going to have to do something after October 20, DVR-wise. We have four DVRs, three of which are in service, two of which are analog DVRs, but on October 20, we lose analog cable. I can record cable programs on our digital DVR, and then transfer them to one of the analog DVRs -- we will see how well that works out. Some of the programming that we typically watch on the analog DVR is sometimes (inadvertently) copy blocked instead of just copy protected. So we might be looking at the prospect of getting another digital DVR... we'll see.

Regardless, there is no way to address the other analog DVR, except that we really only use it to record Weather Channel so we have the full daily forecast available when we wake up... I think we can just switch to recording the local early news and get the same thing.
I'm be excited to see how HD radio performs specifically on the Zune HD. :) It's a lot slimmer a iPod, but I guess the OLED screen helps it drop a little weight and size. Zune HD video hands-on quickie

I just received a new wifi internet radio via Brown Santa (UPS) yesterday. I think a netbook computer is next, although some may not consider it home entertainment. It will be home entertainment for me, though!
;) I'd love to get a netbook, but I can't work on a screen smaller than 14" widescreen. If only they made one with a retractable screen.

JakesDTVBlog

DTVUSAForum Member, , , Webmaster of: Jake's DTV B
Jim and O-O:

I've been using an MSI Wind U100 netbook (10.2" screen) as my main computer since February. I didn't think I could work on a small screen either, but now, seven months later, I don't know what I'd have done without it. It's just SO much handier. It does everything I need to do plus some, and XP is so much less of a headache than my old Vista-driven laptop.

Yeah i used to hate XP but i'll take its more reliable Wi-Fi over Vista's constant "unidentified Network Local Access Only" stuff anyday.

Disable the nags in Vista what do you got? XP. that's it.

Call me old-fashioned but my next TV is going to be one of those late 1960s Multiplex units where the thing looks like an inert coffee table but open the top you got a great sounding stereo/8-track/phono and the front doors open to reveal a built-in TV. sure i could dissect the broken parts of my stereo-only multiplex and with help from a jigsaw, cut the opening and put any TV inside and hide the VCR in the top but it's just not the same. :)

I'm still scouring the flea markets for one of those. i've had a fondness for not only the woodsy appliances (being a deer lover and nature nut) but the way the 1960s hid so many appliances in furniture still amazes me as if it were from The Jetsons

Piggie

Super Moderator
I never moved to Vista. For one none of my machines can handle it, but I could also buy XP cheaper. I can't say that XP SP2 is all that bad of a system. Sure it's MS crap, but all in all if nothing else, they should have cleaned up XP a little and sold it as XP Prime or something. I think Vista put a bigger cloud over MS than even Window ME.

That said.

There seem to be a lot of devices that will also do NetFlix. I have see OTA DVRs that have it. Blu-Ray players with it. I would love to have a HD DVR that I can input video, ATSC tuner, and Netflix. I have no history on Blu-Ray players, but every other generation of optical drive devices, be it home entertainment, game console, or in your computer, boom box, etc, it dies long before the rest of the device fails. So I am not too sure I want Blu-Ray built into a mulit use device now I think about it.

The OTA and Netflix boxes I have seen though are prohibitively expensive to me, in the $500 range.

Any one with suggestions they know about? No point in googling, more interested in those that have already searched or own one.

I thought about building a Media Center PC, but I like to use the PC while I am watching video. My wife has a dual core Athlon 5000 and it loads down showing HD content to the point you would not want it watching TV and say playing a game or even typing here. I hate lag.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Jim and O-O:

I've been using an MSI Wind U100 netbook (10.2" screen) as my main computer since February. I didn't think I could work on a small screen either, but now, seven months later, I don't know what I'd have done without it. It's just SO much handier. It does everything I need to do plus some, and XP is so much less of a headache than my old Vista-driven laptop.
Hey thanks for the info Jake. :thumb: I've got a small book bag too so a netbook would be perfect but I love big screens!!! Love em! :p What resolution is your 10.2"? How well does it do for multiple open browsers and multitasking?

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
I'd really love to replace my RPTV with a newer TV but the prices on the edge-lit LCDs are way too high right now. I'm sure by the time the prices start coming down, OLED HDTVs will hit the market and then I'll want to wait until those prices come down. :)

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
This probably doesn't count as a home theater purchase but I'm looking at cell phones this weekend. blackberry vs. iphone.
get a iPizzle for shizzle. Love mine. Are you into tinkering? With the iPhone, you can get a ton of apps that will "enhance" (and not like the kind of enhancing those late night commercials advertise) your quality of iPhone ownership.

JeepJeep

DTVUSA Member
get a iPizzle for shizzle. Love mine. Are you into tinkering? With the iPhone, you can get a ton of apps that will "enhance" (and not like the kind of enhancing those late night commercials advertise) your quality of iPhone ownership.
lol ok. I don't know, I'm looking for something that'll definitely handle email and getting on the web. One thing I don't like about the iPhone is that doesn't have a keyboard. I may start a new thread in Off Topic. :)