When are Mobile DTV equipped televisions going to be available?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
It's October. Where is Mobile DTV? I don't even see a hint of it being available anytime this year? Anyone know what's going on? When are Mobile DTV television sets or mobile phones going to go on sale??

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I am willing to bet, cell phone providers are going to do their best to NOT sell you a Mobile DTV - equipped phone. Why? They can't charge you for watching FREE TV. Streaming media is what they will push, because THAT they can charge you for.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I am willing to bet, cell phone providers are going to do their best to NOT sell you a Mobile DTV - equipped phone. Why? They can't charge you for watching FREE TV. Streaming media is what they will push, because THAT they can charge you for.
Agree with you but I'm disappointed with broadcasters not having more coverage on mobile DTV. Is there a specific date when they're going to roll out coverage or is it up to us to track everything down? Where are the products man? If we're really going to see mobile dtv come out this year, lets see some tuners!

n2rj

Staff member
The current "live mobile TV" options from wireless providers aren't streaming TV. They're basically MediaFLO which is encrypted broadcast on former UHF channel 55.

They aren't going to push streaming video as it will bring their data network to its knees. At least for now, when LTE rolls around they may change their tune.

AFAIK, ATSC M-H wasn't going to be all free stuff, I think there was going to be a pay option for some additional channels.

The biggest problem I see with ATSC M-H is that it is one high powered transmitter to cover a wide area, versus smaller low powered cells like FLO TV. Coverage wise, ATSC M-H is like broadcast TV, FLO is somewhat like the cellular network.

Speaking of MediaFLO, it just isn't doing that well. I don't know why but people simply aren't warming up to it. Maybe it's just doing badly, or maybe their CEO just doesn't know how to run a business.

Last edited:

willh

DTVUSA Rookie
Back in June LG advised their industry standard mobile DTV would be available later this year. No sign of it yet! Don't know what the hold up with this is seeming as some of the big American broadcasters are already using this technology. Maybe these companies are now backtracking because they realise they're not going to make as much money out of it as they first thought?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I agree with both of you.

n2rj, I think part of the problem with MediaFlo is the cost. I for one am forking out more than $50 a month for my iPhone internet service and get decent TV programming on it between YouTube and 4 other apps. Payinganother $15 a month and lugging around another device just isn't worth it to me.

willh, I wonder how much it'll be worth for broadcasters to put out the mobile dtv signals. By the time they roll it out, people will have phones capable of receiving 4g and almost HD quality broadband content. I'm beginning to think that Mobile DTV is going to have a lot of competition when it finally does come out.