When are the first mobile DTV phones coming out?

O-O

DTVUSA Member
I've checked with all of the major carriers, Verizon, Sprint, AT&T. I can't even find an expected arrival date on their websites. Anyone know?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I'm betting that cell companies are in no rush to put these phones out. Verizon has VCast and other pay tv services, so why would they want to offer something that's going to be free for their cell customers?

Piggie

Super Moderator
It is doubtful if we will see MPH receivers in cell phones any time soon if ever. There may be demand for it if MPH OTA develops a large enough following. It would be handy if you were somewhere in an emergency and the cell tower fell over but the local TV stations was still on the air. Cell companies could offer it as a locked feature, where you pay a monthly fee to have it unlocked, even though with a separate device it would be free.

The only advantage I can think of for the cell companies would be to sell new phones, hence 2 more years of contracts, saying you can get local news and weather on the new phones, but still I doubt it interests them.

But that begs another question. The must carry rules. If cell phones are becoming mini cable companies providing cable channels on cell phones, at what point will they fall under local must carry laws? Up till now they have limited bandwidth to stream video over the cell towers competing with voice and text transmissions for bandwidth. Hence they like early satellite can say, we only have so much room and can't carry locals.

But with the advent of MPH, and miniaturization it will be possible for cell phones to add an MPH receiver in compliance with possible future must carry rules. In other words the FCC could say to the cell companies you don't have the bandwidth to stream locals over your cell channels but you could add a MPH receiver to cell phones to comply with the law.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
But that begs another question. The must carry rules. If cell phones are becoming mini cable companies providing cable channels on cell phones, at what point will they fall under local must carry laws?
But aren't the cell phone companies just providing a receiving device? It's the local channels that will be broadcasting, right? I don't think the must carry rule will bare any weight with mobile dtv.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
According to all of the news, it looks like we can expect the first ATSC-M/H units to start selling in the first quarter 2010. Who's taking bets on what the first device with a tuner is going to be? I'm thinking that we'll first see a ATSC-M/H in a PC tuner card first, followed by a handheld TV, then, and maybe if we're lucky a cell phone.

Nute

DTVUSA Rookie
It is doubtful if we will see MPH receivers in cell phones any time soon if ever. There may be demand for it if MPH OTA develops a large enough following.
According to all of the news, it looks like we can expect the first ATSC-M/H units to start selling in the first quarter 2010. Who's taking bets on what the first device with a tuner is going to be? I'm thinking that we'll first see a ATSC-M/H in a PC tuner card first, followed by a handheld TV, then, and maybe if we're lucky a cell phone.
So between these 2 posts, I'm not really sure when to expect to see mobile dtv capable phones. 2010? maybe? Will there be any with DVR like capability? Where can I find more info? Maybe release dates?

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
So between these 2 posts, I'm not really sure when to expect to see mobile dtv capable phones. 2010? maybe? Will there be any with DVR like capability? Where can I find more info? Maybe release dates?
We just don't know yet, too early to tell. CES 2009 provided a few working handhelds with ATSC-M/H tuners, take a look:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBVChWMWNFY[/YOUTUBE]