When did you first get cable, what channels did you get, and what did it cost?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
In the 70's and early 80's my family got just 4 channels OTA: ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS. We never did get cable, but my parents did finally get dish network in the late 90's.

Now I get 30 channels OTA - different location - and I started to wonder, how does my current channel lineup compare to, say, a mid 80's cable lineup? But I can't find much online about 80's cable prices or channel lineups. So I'll have to turn to the hive mind of DTVUSAforum.

My questions:

1. When did you first get cable?
2. How many / What channels did you get?
3. What did it cost?

0329cablerates.gif cableprices2.jpg

2179678044_535ac33d27.jpg

Last edited:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
1. I remember getting cable back in 85 or so through Cox or Cablevision.
2. 15-20 channels. Including HBO, Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, and The Movie Channel were just a few that I remember.
3. Have no idea on the cost, I'll ask my dad this afternoon.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Okay, I've had cable twice. Once it was included in my college dorm cost. I didn't spring for a cable box or cable ready TV so only had channels 2-13, and one of those was scrambled. The other time was when I got married in 2005 and my ex-wife hooks us up with like 90 channels and internet for $56 that turned into 150 channels internet and phone for $150 a month in 2009. (98 channels and slower tier internet was $100 per month) When I moved to C.S. in 1994 I though about getting cable, but didn't think MTV was worth the $20 a month. So, I'm not exactly the person to ask. ;)

One of the guys I work with said that when he first got cable in C.S. (80's) it was less than $10 a month. I don't know what channels that included.

Last edited: