When Does Baseball Start to Matter?

With what, 182 games in a season, I find it hard to get excited about baseball until September. When do you guys get hyped about it? Pitchers and Catchers? Opening Day? Playoffs?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Completely agree. That's why I think football is so much easier to follow. Less games make each one more important. Supply/Demand.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
Completely agree. That's why I think football is so much easier to follow. Less games make each one more important. Supply/Demand.
This is coming from someone who grew up loving baseball, but that's a really good point. Hard to watch individual games when almost the exact same thing is going to happen the next night. Baseball highlights are so much more interesting than the actual games. There's only so many different variations of things that can happen in a single play.

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
I guess it depends what you like about baseball. I love the details - to my mind, every pitch of every inning of every game has something to offer. Pennant races are exciting, as are the playoffs and the world series, but in a different way. The pacing of the regular season either appeals to you or it doesn't, I guess, but I love that there's time to breathe and enjoy the scenery. So, to answer your question, I get excited about baseball as soon as spring training begins, and I long for it all winter.

"It's the continuity of baseball that's pleasing and satisfying to the fan, that every day there is something new. Something is happening all throughout the season. You don't get that in other sports." - Roger Angell

I don't watch baseball on TV but I like being at the game. To me the excitement comes from actually being in the stands rooting on your team. The nostalgia is great when you are able to interact with other fans who are just as engaged as you are. I agree that watching game after game can become cumbersome. Basketball and football are both games that even on television you can still get into the game.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
"It's the continuity of baseball that's pleasing and satisfying to the fan, that every day there is something new. Something is happening all throughout the season. You don't get that in other sports." - Roger Angell
Good quote. Puts it into perspective, baseball is kind of like a soap opera...for sports fans.

I just don't have the time to invest. I guess that's why I love football so much between the action and limited amount of games.

Last edited:

ageematt20

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I get excited from pitchers and catchers. I am biased however being a ball player, but a 162 game season leads for some many possibilities. Personally I also love spring training because it gives you a chance to see the young players that you don't usually see.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
Good quote. Puts it into perspective, baseball is kind of like a soap opera...for sports fans.

I just don't have the time to invest. I guess that's why I love football so much between the action and limited amount of games.
The time thing is huge for me as well. If you get attached to a team, there's going to be 5-6 games per week that you're supposed to watch, and each game is two hours minimum. That's a lot of hours per week to follow a team, and you have to if you want to talk about it at school or the workplace.