Where can I find a converter for the same price as the $40 coupon?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Try the internet. You won't find a retailer selling them for just the coupon, I don't think, but you might find some on the internet. Search!

Like my mom's pet bird would say.

CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP

Nothing good is cheap and nothing cheap is good.

You have to be willing to spend some money in order to get something that works! There is a difference in quality between a box sold in a grocery store and one sold in a stereo shop.

About the best one I have found is the Channel Master CM 7000!

Solid Signal has the best price.

forensicnurse

DTVUSA Jr. Member
try solid signal at Dish Network ATSC TR-40CRA Coupon Eligible Digital Converter Box W/ Analog Pass-Through (CECB) | TR-40 CRA [Echostar]
I got my TR 40 there (it works with my TV even tho I don't have Dish, so don't worry about that). and it cost me $40.01 minus $40.00 coupon. That would be 1 cent. Shipping is $9.95

There was another one (I think the link is in another post) where you can get it free and shipping is free, but I saw the TR 40 reviews and it had a lot of features that were desirable and good reviews.

I know NOTHING about this stuff and couldn't even install my own boxes because I have a splitter box between the TVs and antenna, so please don't ask me any questions. Just sharing what I did. Hope you find a cheap and good box.

Wheezer

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I saw that today! It's like their #3 seller in their electronics section. Going like hotcakes. Not a bad converter at all either.
The only real complaint I've had with it so far is that it's not RF-quiet when "powered down"--I have to unplug it when not in use.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Not RF-quiet? You're right, it's mounted in a plastic box. What channels or radio stations is it causing interference on?

Oh, the power supply could also be the source of the RF noise, too.

Wheezer

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Not RF-quiet? You're right, it's mounted in a plastic box. What channels or radio stations is it causing interference on?

Oh, the power supply could also be the source of the RF noise, too.
The box throws high-pitched RF hash around 700 kHz, which makes listening to WGN-AM irritating. I haven't searched the dial for other artifacts. I also shouldn't overstate the problem--the converter is quieter than the 9-inch Panasonic set it's connected to, but the TV actually powers off. My kitchen just happens to be small enough that the noise can infiltrate the radio.

(The lightweight switching wall wart that was included isn't the source per se.)

O-O

DTVUSA Member
I think most of these boxes throw off that noise because my Insignia does the same exact humming noise too when it's turned off (or goes into power saver mode). Talk about cheaply made. :(

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
The box throws high-pitched RF hash around 700 kHz, which makes listening to WGN-AM irritating. I haven't searched the dial for other artifacts. I also shouldn't overstate the problem--the converter is quieter than the 9-inch Panasonic set it's connected to, but the TV actually powers off. My kitchen just happens to be small enough that the noise can infiltrate the radio.

(The lightweight switching wall wart that was included isn't the source per se.)
I think most of these boxes throw off that noise because my Insignia does the same exact humming noise too when it's turned off (or goes into power saver mode). Talk about cheaply made. :(
No problems here with my DTVPal Plus but then again I paid a bit more for it too. Will say that some of these are built a little cheaper, have an early model Channel Master also, and I've often wondered if it would catch on fire because it gets so darn hot.