Where to place small multi-directional outdoor antenna?

K

klbarton@sbcglobal.net

I just purchased a condo on 1st floor and also just purchased a 47" Sony LED Internet HDTV. Can I buy a small multi-directional outdoor antenna and attach it to the top of my patio fencing outside to get all of my local channels clearly? The prior owner had a satellite provider and the small satellite dish is already placed on the top / side of my patio fencing. I am trying to avoid paying costly fees for cable or satellite services by purchasing the outdoor antenna to watch my local television programming. Thanks !

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
:welcome:
First, we need to know where your transmitters are in relation to your building.

Please go to TV Fool (<- click Link) and fill in your location details including the height above ground level where you plan to have your antenna. For your security, the results will automatically conceal your personal information. Then, please copy and paste the result (the URL in BOLD TYPE) from your antenna survey here for us to look at, so we can make recommendations.

~DTVUSAforum Staff

K

klbarton@sbcglobal.net

See following requested link: TV Fool

I also went to AntennaWeb - Home yesterday and after entering my information I was told I would need to purchase and install an outdoor Small Multidirectional Antenna which they described as: The smallest of TV antennas, these receive equally well from all directions. Designs include novel-shaped disks, patch antennas and antennas that attach to satellite systems. These antennas are most effective when signal strength is highest and away from reflecting structures or low areas. I found one on Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more (I think). See following Link: http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-DB2-Directional-Antenna/dp/B000EHUE7I. Thanks so much!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: kl,

Your TVFOOL report is based at ground level and it is absolutely awesome!

I would try a "screen-type" antenna like an original Channel Master CM-4228 8-bay antenna and face it west, but I would remove its' reflector screen so it could (might) receive stations from the east. Raise it as high as possible for testing, then try at different lower heights. Rescan, rescan, rescan is the way it works.

Please keep us posted on your results.

Jim

PS Multi-directional TV antennas usually receive so much multipath they are worthless, 99% of the time.

Last edited:
Greetings, kl

Great location for OTA reception! You have so many stations coming from the west, you might not even miss those four at 312 degrees. I would enter the call letters into Wikipedia. They might well be duplicating programming on the stronger stations, or might just be shopping network stations. Anyway, if you aim your antenna about 15 degrees north of straight west, there's a good chance you can catch 'em all.

I wouldn't even call the DB2 multi-directional. After all, it does have a reflector. Antenna manufacturers like to have it both ways. They say "multi-directional" cause they know people like that, yet they tout high front to back ratios, which is a total contradiction.

The only objection I have to that Amazon DB2 ad is they want $80 for it, when the new, improved DB2e goes for $40. Watch out for those salesmen!

The reason Fringe might be steering you to a huge 8 bay antenna is those two VHF stations in your lineup -- KUHT and KHOU. Again, I would run the call letters to see if you want to worry about 'em. If not, you could save a few bucks by going for a 2 bay or a 4 bay. Shoot, you're gonna have more channels than anyone deserves either way. :first:

Jim, I don't even know if you can get the old 4228 anymore. I searched for it all over and only found one 4228A on sale -- and that's not confirmed, plus I doubt kl would need an amp. (Just one more thing to break ;) ) All the stores says 4228 is out of stock and replaced by the HD version.

I was really surprised when I got my 4221HD that it has 8 rod reflectors -- no screen. BUT, have to say it's working pretty doggone good. I double checked the channelmaster site, and there's no mention anywhere of the change. Then I searched the whole internet. Could only find TWO references to "rod reflectors" associated with 4221HD. I think the pictures are a little deceiving.

Rick

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I'd personnally go with a Winegard FreeVision antenna pointed west to get good signal on both the VHF stations and the UHF stations.

http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-FV-HD30-FreeVision-HDTV-Antenna/dp/B002TIELEM

Jim, why did you recommend an 8 bay? That's not a "small" antenna.
I agree. Winegard FreeVision. If OP has a clear shot to the West, I'd point it to about 280 degrees (splitting the difference from the 2 westerly antenna farms), drop some RG6 coax to the TV and be done with it.

Also, enter your address at Rabbitears.info: RabbitEars.Info
With a search using only the zip code at 5 ft, I count around 75 channels - although a lot of them are religious / ethnic. AWESOME.

G

Wow! This website rocks! Who knew there was forum for tech dummies like me out there that could provide me with such wonderful and well needed advice? I lived in an apartment for years and when I bought my condo this year I decided to ditch my horrible cable company. (I didn’t have a choice of cable providers because they owned the underground cable beneath my complex)

I stopped paying more than $1200.00 a year for terrible cable that was either down most of the time or ran movies circa 1985 on a loop on all five of my HBO channels. I decided to buy a smart / internet TV instead and watch all of the same programming on my existing Netflix, Hulu and Crackle memberships. But I still want to be able to watch my local news once in a while. Thanks so much for your brilliant advice. :)

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Jim, why did you recommend an 8 bay? That's not a "small" antenna.
Dan,

A CM-4228 becomes a lightweight two-directional antenna when the screen is removed, but its signal gain drops significantly. I thought the extra gain an altered 8-Bay would provide over an altered 4-Bay might be required for some of our Guest's weaker stations.

Jim

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Jim, I don't even know if you can get the old 4228 anymore. I searched for it all over and only found one 4228A on sale -- and that's not confirmed, plus I doubt l would need an amp. (Just one more thing to break ;) ) All the stores says 4228 is out of stock and replaced by the HD version. Rick
Rick,

I haven't looked for a new 4228 since last year and they are probably hard to find. On the other hand, they pop up near my location Craigslist quite often. This one is about a 7 mile drive from me: Exterior AM/FM Antenna A bit misadvertised, eh?

Jim

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Here is a little bit to expect from your new "cable package."

2.1 NBC
2.2 THIS (Movies)
8.1 PBS
8.2 Create
11.1 CBS
11.2 Bounce (Black Entertainment)
13.1 ABC
13.2 Livewell
14.1 TBN
14.2 The Church Channel
14.3 JCTV
14.5 Smile of a Child
20.1 MyNetworkTV
22.1 DayStar
26.1 FOX
39.1 CW
39.2 AntennaTV (Classic TV)
49.1 Ion
49.2 QUBO
49.3 Ion Life
57.1 Independant
57.4 ME-TV (Classic TV)

Monthly cost after antenna installation $0.

Rick,

I haven't looked for a new 4228 since last year and they are probably hard to find. On the other hand, they pop up near my location Craigslist quite often. This one is about a 7 mile drive from me: Exterior AM/FM Antenna A bit misadvertised, eh?

Jim
Dang! Too bad he lives in Houston.

I keep hearing about all these great craigslist antenna deals, and I keep looking ... Today I found a Winegard HD 4400 for $25. Oops. Found the same on solidsignal for $20.99 . Also found a couple used indoor amplified antennas for $30 -- I paid $23 for Monoprice new, and I think it's better. Then there's a 10 ft. outdoor for $25, but from the picture, it's still up on the roof (can you spell i-n-s-u-r-a-n-c-e? or else get a pro). That's absolutely IT. I even expanded the search to include neighboring Milwaukee.

I guess antenna horse trading is just a fad up der by the Canucks. :canada:

Rick

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Rick,

Since that CM-4228 antenna has been sitting on CL for a full week, I zapped the seller a message and if the first offer (I think I know who it is) doesn't buy it, its mine. So the Q is, what will I do with it?

Beyond that, it appears I have a free Hustler 4BTV arriving tomorrow. Now, I have no reason not to renew my Ham ticket.

Jim

G

Tampa

I would prefer an indoor multi directional as my condo doesn't allow mounting outside and would rather not have to adjust antenna every time I change channels. Thanks!

If you would like to share these results with others, this page can be referenced as:
TV Fool

Tampa, you have an amazingly terrific TV Fool report, with a very full lineup coming from the south-east (137° on a compass). There are also a few stations to your south-west, but nothing very exciting that I can see. If you have a window facing south or east, I bet one of those flat antennas would work. Here's the one I would recommend: Solid Signal HD-BLADE Indoor Digital Flat Antenna

Solid Signal recently upgraded this antenna and dropped the price. The gain on the old one was already better than the Mohu Leaf. You don't need the amplified version. It might even overload your tuner with those signals in the high 60's. If there's a big building or trees outside your window, all bets are off.

Rick

Federal Law trumps Condo Association rules.
Well, there is federal law, and there is natural law. Then there's the court of public opinion. Kind of reminds me of the Clintons. I think they were really nice, civic minded people. As such, there were a lot of really bad people doing their dirty work for them. (Bill pardoned a lot of them just before leaving office. I mean come on. Their heart was in the right place. He felt their pain.) My landlord is a lot like that.

Rick