Question: which antenna choice???

js2318

DTVUSA Rookie
will be switching to Directv, unfortunetly there are no locals in my area. Will be getting HD receiver and OTA tuner. Question is what antenna would be best for my area. Attached is results from TVfool

TV Fool

am thinking I need an vhf/uhf with preamp but not sure. For grins, borrowed digital convertor and an indoor antenna from friend and threw it on the roof. Was able to get 2.1 (nbc) and 11.1 (cbs).

Really don't want a huge eye sore on top of my roof, so smaller the better. Also what is needed for proper grounding and lightning protection. Will running the cable through a surge protector adequately protect my TVs?

thanks in advance

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Jim:welcome: js2318,

When you tested "for grins" you received only 2.1 and 11.1 (both are VHF per your TVFOOL report) but I suspect you didn't rotate the antenna and repeatedly rescan for other channels that are likely also there for you.

The digital world is not like analog in many ways: simply, a useable signal is or is not there. From your perspective, you may have to go after it. Point your antenna/s toward the sources.

Per your TVFOOL report, did you actually receive CBS KGIN 11.1, 110.7 miles away with an indoor antenna outside? If so, that was awesome and with a real outdoor antenna you might be astonished what you could receive, FREE.

Regarding your 2.1, is that a low-power analog translator?

At this point I want to pass the ball to others here that may know your region better than I do, however, if you are willing to put a comparatively small wide-band screen-type antenna on your roof with a rotator, I bet you could hit the motherlode. The higher the better, in your situ.

Jim

js2318

DTVUSA Rookie
if I am not mistaken 11.1 is retransmitted from a different tower about 25 miles away - k33ff. I did get a couple of pbs stations as well. Going to mess around with it again tonight to see what I can pick up.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
A pre-amp may not be needed if you plan to use the antenna suggested earlier with one or possibly two, TVs, and the cables to both would be less than 50 feet long. Put up the rotor and antenna, and see what you can get first. A pre-amp can always be added later. If one is needed, get the Winegard HDP-269; it's about the only pre-amp that won't overload on the strong signal from 2.1, causing reception headaches with other signals.

A surge strip drains off static charges that build up in the shield inside coaxial cable only. That's not enough by itself to protect your house from lightning strikes. The mast and mount of an outdoor antenna need to be grounded; if a separate ground stake is used, the National Electrical Code requires that it be bonded to the house's grounding rod as well. Please read "Grounding outdoor antennas" about three-quarters of the way down this page to get an idea of what's required.