Which antenna is really the best for deep fringe? 91xg, CM 4228, or??

DavisG

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I'm a little over 100 miles from a few transmitters, done all the charts on tvfool.com and I know that I need something that can receive just about the impossible. What is considered the best? I know the Channel Master 4228 and Antennas Direct 91XG are highly recommneded. Is there anything else I should consider? I'll probably buy 2 and return 1 but I want to make sure i buy the best 2. Thank you for the help.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
The Channel Master 4251 Parabolic was considered one of the best commercially available UHF Antennas.

Wade also offers some Parabolic UHF antennas....but the CM 4228 is just as good or better than any of the Parabolics less than 5 ft. in diameter.

I saw an AntennaCraft P7 (Parabolic 7ft) go for $129 plus shipping Buy It Now in June, but they are long disconinued like the CM 4251s....and they arent as well built, designed or performing as the CM 4251s.

The Wade stuff is well built and performs well, but pricey. Remember the 4 ft Wade doesnt perform as well as the CM 4228. Youll be looking at least 5 or 6 footers and more like 7 to 8 footers.

You could possibly build your own using a large C Band satelite dish with a Channel Master 4149 double bowtie at the focal point....or maybe an Eagle Aspen DB2 clone.

This is of course assuming you dont need VHF.

But irregardless of all that, you are probably better served by acquiring a tower.

Your location, general discription of the territory, and a TVFool plot would be useful, for others to assist you.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I'm a little over 100 miles from a few transmitters, done all the charts on tvfool.com and I know that I need something that can receive just about the impossible. What is considered the best? I know the Channel Master 4228 and Antennas Direct 91XG are highly recommneded. Is there anything else I should consider? I'll probably buy 2 and return 1 but I want to make sure i buy the best 2. Thank you for the help.
Note that most of the fame of the CM4228 was the old version.
Read this page before buying the new version. Temporary page

Unless you want to have to modify the new HD4228 to get the gain or better than the old one.

Because so many antenna were designed back in the days of still having channels 52-69, some preform better up where there are no longer any channels better and some are better down lower.

Good example. Say in your town your real UHF channels are all below say 35 or so. The Winegard HD-8800 is one of the best antennas out of the box.

But if you have a lot of channels that at the top of the band the XG-91 or made in America Winegard HD9032 is good on the channels from 30 and up.

One antenna that can be a problem to mount because it's long and end mounted by good across the band is the Winegard HD9095

The 9095 is a 95 in boom that end mounts. Part of why it has a good pattern at the lower channels along with longer elements.

=====

Now all that said are you sure you don't have and VHF channels you need to receive? None of the cover VHF well.

DavisG

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I'm looking for high UHF channels mostly and one in the mid range. Appreciate the comments so far. I currently have a 30' tower mounted to the back side of one of my storage sheds. Works well with my old antenna which I have no idea what type it is, but since the transition, a few of my UHF channels moved around. At least they didn't move to VHF. Your comments about antennas back in the day being designed for 52-69 probably relate to me.

EscapeVelocity

Got a pic of your setup? Tower and closeup of antenna, maybe we can identify it. TVfool would help too.

The xg91 is a very good UHF antenna. Ive had personal experience with that one. So is the old CM 4228...which I also have experience with. However I have no experience with the new CM 4228HD.

You might consider the Televes DAT-75.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Got a pic of your setup? Tower and closeup of antenna, maybe we can identify it. TVfool would help too.

The xg91 is a very good UHF antenna. Ive had personal experience with that one. So is the old CM 4228...which I also have experience with. However I have no experience with the new CM 4228HD.

You might consider the Televes DAT-75.
The new HD4228 is a good antenna if you first take it in your shop and do some serious modifications.

The least expensive antenna for the gain at the high end of the band (30 - 51) is the Winegard HD-9032 Winegard HD-9032 UHF Prostar 1000 Antenna (HD9032) | HD-9032 [Winegard]

We really do need to see your old antenna. It may be quite sufficient with money better spent on a good preamp possibly.

But we can't tell if you are a candidate for a high power preamp with seeing your TVFool plot.

If you coax is worn out or you live far enough out in the sticks where a preamp will help you may not gain much buying just a new antenna.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
The Antenna Craft Super G 1483 may be as good as a uhf antenna can get. It comes in both an 8-bay version and a 16-bay.

The 16-bay is rated for the blue zone and 70 miles but add some height to the tower and a good preamp and that dog should do alot more than just bark.

http://www.summitsource.com/antenna....html?osCsid=2cc5985e6716248436577cb52652c1f0

She's a big one though (reminds me of my ex-girlfriend, Sarah Jo Pucket) measuring 60" x 60", but it should do the job too.

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

That is the first time Ive ever seen anybody recommend that 16 bay Gray Hoverman!

LOL!

I have the 4 Bay version. Though I dont know why they call them 4 bays, they arent bowties.

Please be advised that the elements are not sturdy and are very easily bent out of shape.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
That is the first time Ive ever seen anybody recommend that 16 bay Gray Hoverman!

LOL!

I have the 4 Bay version. Though I dont know why they call them 4 bays, they arent bowties.

Please be advised that the elements are not sturdy and are very easily bent out of shape.
That's true with the active elements of any bow tie antenna. It'll take more than wind to bend them, like a hail storm or human negligence while installing it.

EscapeVelocity

I wouldnt agree with your first statement in the above post. Im fairly sure a strong wind could bend those Gray Hovermans.

BTW, Im not poo pooing the antennas performance. The G1483 4 Bay I have is as good or better than any consumer 4 bay antenna out there, performance wise. Better than most. I thought it was a great suggestion, and non conventional...that is why I Thanked your post.

Note that it like the these other antennas were also designed for the expanded UHF band the frequencies up to 69.

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

AntennaCraft G1483s specifically. The G1483s use easily bendable light gauge aluminum wire for the elements. The build quality of the rest of the antenna isnt spactacular either.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Unfortunately that is a trademark of Antenna Craft. Some of their stuff though seems great. FM6, Y5-7-13 are made of titanium but are made fairly well. AC is a weird like that. So you bought one or there GH antennas?

EscapeVelocity

The DB4 and its cousins use much thicker aluminum for the elements and probably a different alloy, and its much much more stout than the G1483s. The old American mad Channel Master 4221 and its cousins use about the same gauge of thickness as the G1483, but in galvanized steel, very stiff and strong as well, like the DB4.

Ive no experience with the new Channel Masters chinese imported Bowties.

EscapeVelocity

The FM6 and the 5-7-13 use titanium for the elements and boom?

Fascinating. Ill have to look into that. It seems like titanium is relatively expensive and not a great conductor. And mixing titanium with aluminum doesnt seem wise either. Titanium being on one side of the Galvanic chart and Aluminum on the other. Though treatments like anodizing and other things would probably help. Titanium is relatively inert, isnt it?

Ill have to look into that.

But knowing the build quality and materials on teh FM6 and Y5-7-13 are not comparable to the G1483, my only experience with Antennacraft changes my perspective on them quite a bit.

Ill probably acquire and FM-6.

Piggie

Super Moderator
The FM6 and the 5-7-13 use titanium for the elements and boom?

Fascinating. Ill have to look into that. It seems like titanium is relatively expensive and not a great conductor. And mixing titanium with aluminum doesnt seem wise either. Titanium being on one side of the Galvanic chart and Aluminum on the other. Though treatments like anodizing and other things would probably help. Titanium is relatively inert, isnt it?

Ill have to look into that.

But knowing the build quality and materials on teh FM6 and Y5-7-13 are not comparable to the G1483, my only experience with Antennacraft changes my perspective on them quite a bit.

Ill probably acquire and FM-6.
lol, I was being too sarcastic. For their price you could buy them if that were true and melt them down and sell the metal.

Well some of their stuff is built ok. note the word ok. I should have said the FM6 and the Y5-7-13 are two examples of their better work.

i would recommend a FM6 to anyone that needed directional FM.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
...Ive no experience with the new Channel Masters chinese imported Bowties.
I would not buy one. When modified, per the hdtvprimer TEMPORARY PAGE, they work as good or better than the old 4228 made in the US. But you shouldn't have to do such major mods to a brand new antenna.

We live in a deep fringe area (70+ miles from many transmitters). A friend bought one of the new chinese channelmaster 4228HD antennas and couldn't get sufficient gain on it to get all the available channels until he modified it per hdtvprimer.

The 7777 preamps are still good, though!