Which shows do you want to have back?

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
Still I remember shows from my childhood and shows which I watched on TV years ago. And there are show which I really want to have back.

I am not thinking of the old original shows. I am thinking of a make over and get it back on screen with a new cast.

Do you remember the millionaire couple whose hobby was searching for murder?
Or "Charlies´s Angels"? Bonanza?

Which shows do you want to come back with new faces?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I think that distinction is important: The vast majority of television shows from my childhood would be utterly boring to me, now: Today's programs have elevated the state of the art (in terms of both production values and the extent to which shows present characters you care about) so much, that most anything produced before 1981 is drek, as far as I'm concerned.

First on my list is The Time Tunnel. This was a short-lived genre show with an excellent cast. Bits and pieces of the concept can be seen in some other genre shows; you can even say that some of the early Doctor Who series had some parallels. And of course, Quantum Leap was perhaps almost a direct copy of the concept. However, it is a concept that I would love to see redone, continually, over and over.

Most of the other shows, from my childhood, that I would like to see redone, are already being redone, and quite often (though, like Quantum Leap is a re-do of The Time Tunnel, perhaps not with the same title or even the exact same premise, but close enough to satisfy). For example: Mission: Impossible.

As I consider many of the other shows I enjoyed back then, I explicitly do not want them redone. Many of them were inextricably dated. They were right for their time, but there is no practical way to present them today, as anything resembling a "re-do": The result would either be "not anything close to the same thing" or "horribly out of time". Could you imagine a re-do of That Girl? The premise, itself, would now be practically patronizing. Even if it was presented as a period piece (like Mad Men), it would have to be presented with today's sensibilities, and that, itself, would make it a wholly different show (while a show like The Time Tunnel could indeed be redone today without being so completely undermined by the passage of time and progress in our collective social conscience).

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I was bummed when they canceled Touched By an Angel. It had high ratings and was a pretty entertaining series. Not to mention it was filmed up here in my area.

Remember BattleStar Galactica? how we were anticipating the 'new' revival? only to find out it was NOTHING like it should be, and ruined all the respect for it?

Then what happened to yet another Glen Larson show, Knight Rider. the original was the best, the movie Knight Rider 2000 was to make a much better show but then was cancelled shortly after the movie, which was to be a pilot for the new series, which still had William Daniels as KITT, and the new KI3T (Knight Industries Three Thousand) was more like the orignal, and beared not only the same voice and computer but a car which at least looked like the original. but it never came to be

Now he's made not only an appearance as a rice rocket Mustang, with a total Fast and Furious style premise, and cast, but he acts more like HAL 9000 from Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey , and has a 'orb' which bears some resemblence to HAL's eye.

Now do you still want your old classics back? considering they'd have to work for a new generation i doubt the old generations who grew up would still like them after they were remade.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I think that distinction is important: The vast majority of television shows from my childhood would be utterly boring to me, now: Today's programs have elevated the state of the art (in terms of both production values and the extent to which shows present characters you care about) so much, that most anything produced before 1981 is drek, as far as I'm concerned.

First on my list is The Time Tunnel. This was a short-lived genre show with an excellent cast. Bits and pieces of the concept can be seen in some other genre shows; you can even say that some of the early Doctor Who series had some parallels. And of course, Quantum Leap was perhaps almost a direct copy of the concept. However, it is a concept that I would love to see redone, continually, over and over.

Most of the other shows, from my childhood, that I would like to see redone, are already being redone, and quite often (though, like Quantum Leap is a re-do of The Time Tunnel, perhaps not with the same title or even the exact same premise, but close enough to satisfy). For example: Mission: Impossible.

As I consider many of the other shows I enjoyed back then, I explicitly do not want them redone. Many of them were inextricably dated. They were right for their time, but there is no practical way to present them today, as anything resembling a "re-do": The result would either be "not anything close to the same thing" or "horribly out of time". Could you imagine a re-do of That Girl? The premise, itself, would now be practically patronizing. Even if it was presented as a period piece (like Mad Men), it would have to be presented with today's sensibilities, and that, itself, would make it a wholly different show (while a show like The Time Tunnel could indeed be redone today without being so completely undermined by the passage of time and progress in our collective social conscience).
There was serious talk about a Time Tunnel redeux a couple of years ago. It got pretty far along before ultimately being shot down. It was a favorite of mine.

My thing is I don't want my favorites redone and ruined by today's violence, sex, profanity, and lack of morals and guidelines. I still love and treasure those shows, from Laramie to The Dick Van Dyke Show to Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and to newer ones like Stargate SG-1. I want my favorites to stay pure.

Now sometimes an updo with the same cast can be nice. It's happened a lot, either with new series, tv reunion movies, or theatrical films. When they mess with the history, though, like that crappy new Battlestar Galactica did, it makes me sick.

So -- overall, leave my favorites alone, unless you can do a class like job with it, such as with Leave it to Beaver or Father Knows Best.

I have to mention here, though, that one of the subtle things I liked about the last year or so of Walker Texas Ranger is that Robert Fuller guest starred as a Texas Ranger. He was recurring. Had the show gone on another season, odds were good that he would have been a regular. Now, I'm a Fuller fan, but even that's not why I was so excited when he first turned up on the show. I knew it instantly. When he was introduced on the show, his name was given as Wade Harper. I about jumped out of my seat. Like I said, I knew it instantly.

What was it? The name. This was confirmed later on, too, so it's not just my wishful thinking, but Wade Harper was written as being the grandson of Jess Harper. Jess Harper was one of the two lead characters on the western, Laramie from 1959-1963. I was so excited. Little historical tidbits would have been brought into play. Oh what might have been. Anywho, that's the kind of thing I would enjoy -- the generations keeping the traditions going.

Then what happened to yet another Glen Larson show, Knight Rider. the original was the best, the movie Knight Rider 2000 was to make a much better show but then was cancelled shortly after the movie, which was to be a pilot for the new series, which still had William Daniels as KITT, and the new KI3T (Knight Industries Three Thousand) was more like the orignal, and beared not only the same voice and computer but a car which at least looked like the original. but it never came to be

Now he's made not only an appearance as a rice rocket Mustang, with a total Fast and Furious style premise, and cast, but he acts more like HAL 9000 from Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey , and has a 'orb' which bears some resemblence to HAL's eye.
The thing I didn't like about the new Knight Rider was that they completely removed the show from the pilot which confused the crap out of me because i didn't start watching until the 4th show after I had seen the Pilot. I think they've renewed it this season for something like 9 episodes.

I'd like to see a remake of The Six Million Dollar Man with some good special effects. Not really really sure who I'd like to see play Lee Majors role. Definitely not Vin Deasel. A lot of today's actors just don't have that on screen persona that a lot of the 60's, 70's, and 80's actors did.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Gosh, there sure is a lot of glass-half-empty sentiments, here. :) I cannot agree with those that ascribe loftier attributes to the programs and actors of our youth. Things are better now than then, and will be better still forty years from now. :applause:

Think of this. remember Star Trek: The Original Series? Kirk (shatner) Spock (nimoy) Uhura (nichelle Nichols) etc? how many movies based on the original series with the ORIGINAL cast were there? they made it into the what? late 1980s?

Why can't remade shows follow that line? we watch characters and sometimes machines evolve as their original show goes through its lifetime, then they do a switch and pull all the evolution and characters out and put in a bunch of wannabes instead?

KITT from Knight Rider we got to see him go from monotonic computer to almost entirely sentient, then Knight Rider 2000 attempts to continue that evolution with him and Hasselhoff, then they pull all that time out and switch it to some sort of Fast and Furious meets Transformers and we have to start all over again. after 20+ years. that's not right.

I don't even want to go into all of what's wrong with the new Battelstar Galactica. but i'll mention one. HOW did Starbuck and Boomer become GIRLS?!!

Aries

DTVUSA Member
I miss Star Trek: The Next Generation. I was never big on Star Trek in my youth, but my tastes have changed over the years, and now I'm really into sci fi/drama, especially Code Geass.

I'm not sure if they're still airing it on G4, I largely avoid that channel due to their game reviewers reviewing a game two months after I've completed it and written a comprehensive guide.

Star Trek: The Next Generation has all the seasons on Youtube. with Moyea Flash Video Downloader you can also download them.

Voyager's entire series is there too.

I believe TNG's cast jumped the shark when they destroyed the Enterprise-D in Generations . the Enterprise-E doesn't fit the cast at all, and looks evil. they should've used an Intrepid-Class like Voyager for the Enterprise-E instead IMO. Picard, Troi, Data, etc don't fit with warships. and cold ones at that. ever notice how cold the new Bridge is? the only 'good' thing is they ditched Wesley.

I always saw it very dumb that the Enterprise-D was destroyed be a single Photon Torpedo from an obsolete Klingon Bird of Prey too. after how many times they fought and won against more powerful ships throughout the series (like the Borg).

Last edited:

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
They've been doing remakes for years on all the old TV shows. Heck, they've done it with at least one animated series - Rupert Bear - Eco Explorers - In that example, they traded the cel animated bear for a CGI model.

What I'd like to see is a remake of:

Hawaii Five-O

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbYGrQIbSLM[/YOUTUBE]

Gonna be hard to find someone with the Jack Lord qualities.

Last edited:
I believe remakes should satisfy both the generation that grew up with them and the 'new generations' thus doubling their ratings.

I hate the 'new' Battlestar, i hate the 'new' Knight Rider (gave both a fair chance, after 5 eps at most i was done) and i hate any 'reboot' of any series. it is as dumb as commercials today. insults the ones who grew up with them for anticipating a nice rebirth of their favorite show, and paints a great picture of the minds of the 'newbie' generation.

I guess my big beef with the new BSG is how they never quite explained, 'in universe' why Starbuck and Boomer are female, they only tell people who ask that it's a 'reboot' and therefore not at all linked to the previous show, but to me it appears to continue the series, but without any rhyme or reason as to how the gender-change happened, just that it has. that and the show is absolutely NOTHING like the original, it only shares the title.

I feel the exact same way when some un-talented rap star butchers a great song from the 1980s. the RIAA should sue for THAT.

At least the 'new' care bears has some original animation...can't say the same for Strawberry Shortcake, although American Greetings still does all the characters so no one else stole the idea and then butchered it.

I hate CGI outside a Pixar Film. Pixar films are great movies, like Wall-E and Cars. but taking CGI and making an old show a new one, or worse, using it to animate sci-fi ship models you can see the unrealism in it. take the old Star Trek films, look at the awesome realism of the battle scenes, and compare that to the obviously computer generated effects and it's not even close to real.

I hope they never touch Airwolf, they'd butcher that one too.

Last edited:

bicker

DTVUSA Member
insults the ones who grew up with them for anticipating a nice rebirth of their favorite show,
I think this is one of those cases where insult is in the mind of the beholder. Generally no insult was intended by the new producers; they're simply aiming to provide entertainment that they think a general audience will appreciate. The problem, therefore, is anticipating ("expecting") anything to be the way we may want it (instead of how it is).

I guess my big beef with the new BSG is how they never quite explained, 'in universe' why Starbuck and Boomer are female, they only tell people who ask that it's a 'reboot' and therefore not at all linked to the previous show, but to me it appears to continue the series, but without any rhyme or reason as to how the gender-change happened, just that it has. that and the show is absolutely NOTHING like the original, it only shares the title.
And a premise, and many many many other aspects. If it was presented under another name, without any pretense of being related, it would be accused of being a rip-off.

The new BSG is so far better than the old, that if anything it would be better to have just forgotten that the old series ever existed, IMHO.

So you believe Starsky&Hutch, Miami Vice or Murder she loves could not be done with a new crew and the old intension?

I think this would work.

By the way BSG and The new KITT do not work for me. Why? I do not see anything emotional on it.

What I am missing is the "being with them feeling". In the old ones there was a feeling of being included.

Right now most of the TV shows look alike. You watch them and think about watching robots.

There is now temptation of the actors seen at all. Look at Kevin Costner´s Dance with wolves and you see exactly what I mean: An actor believing in his work and doing it that way.

If you ever had watched Bonanza, you would believe each of them stands for it.

Right now there are only a few shows where you find such actors:
House MD, the whole enterprise shows, ...

All other shows I have the feeling:None of these actors is believing in his fictional character - It is just a job to get the money....

I take it the same way i take PC Games. i still prefer the old 1980s combat flight sims and video arcades to any of the new stuff. back then the graphics were less than great, but the games were fun now it's about status. sure the graphics are total blow-you-away realism, the sound is sectons ahead of 8-bit PC Speaker sound, but the goals are the same. beat the game, earn status as a true gamer. lose at level 1, you suck. it all about bragging and ego, no longer fun. or maybe i'm just old.

With Battlestar Galactica, i never knew they existed in '78. i wasn't around then. i got a taste of what i thought WAS Battlestar Galactica, from a DVD set of the newer series that my dad got into. and it sucked. i couldn't follow it, it was all about sex (as most TV today) and just had absolutely no story line and seemed to appeal to teens and young adults. sure it had great special effects, but i see that being the only real value in it. the effects seem to have more effort put into them than the actual acting and story.

Then on a day when nothing was on i tuned to ION channel on Dish (when i still had them) and i was like 'oh my god, NOT Battlestar Galactica!!!' as it was coming on, and then i was all like 'what...the....frak?! i like this!' and just for kicks since it seemed so much better and i could follow it, i hit the INFO button to see a date from the year 1978. i was like '1978?!' and then i was stuck on the original since; it had that George Lucus Star Wars style to it, in fact i thought it was done by the same people. was, like my favorite games, fun.

You have to admire the old shows, like the old BSG. think about it. they had to build every set from scratch, the ships, the models, everything cost tons of money and took a lot of time to produce, along with trying to make it work as well. people just had more time to make them entertaining along with being rather well done for whatever resources they had. they didn't have CGI to speed things up. they didn't have computer generated effects. they did rather well IMO. now it's about making it more visually appealing but sucky in acting or otherwise. it's so much easier to rush out an episode faster than it is to take time and do it right.

PC Games have taken on similar roles; sure the old games are regarded as campy and horrible compared to today when you go the way of graphics and sound, but the actual gameplay and fun factor is so different. the old games had rather well done gameplay for what they had, they could even be customized (such as the campaign builder on LucusFilm's Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe) but today features such as that and playing from either side to get that 'what if' factor is no longer present, and seems to favor actually completing the game than actually playing it and just having fun playing it.

So while everyone can say the original shows sucked, in terms of special effects compared to the newer versions, they're right. they did suck. they had cheesy effects and sounds. they even recycled some of the effects from previous shows not even related. (such as taking the firing of lasers sound from Buck Rogers) but the acting and story was a lot more entertaining and not driven by teen desires such as today's shows. keep the younger desires like sex and what not on MTV, don't take something we grew up with or saw later on and loved and butcher it. i'm surprised the RIAA doesn't sue for stealing an idea and turning it into something else and taking credit for it. i don't remember Glen Larson ever approving the felgercarb that is today's BSG. he may have stamped his name on it in the credits but i doubt he had any say in how it was produced nor do i feel he approves of what was once his vision.

Last edited:

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Some of this stuff is out there. The original Battlestar Galactica and Knight Rider just to name a couple. You can find them on RTV.

Many of us cannot get this network as it is usually a sub-channel to another and it's not carried everywhere and their schedule is different on different channels.

Look for your area on the site to see what you might get.

I can get my daily Battlestar Galactica (1978) and Knight Rider (1982) fixes online if not RTV. i just get all riled up whenever anyone thinks the new one is so much better and then says it's nostalgia to like the older one when i wasn't even aware the older one existed until 2005. i mean it's not nostalgia. it's the acting that was better. today's shows are always revolving around the same themes. sex, sex, sex and more of it. the Cylons of the new series are using sex to kill. there's zero explanation as to how or why Boomer and Starbuck have changed genders.

Also it's not just confined to Science Fiction. most if not all shows revolve around the same teen desires (Knight Rider today, BSG, even two and a half men.) that's not all that's important. if it's not butchered classics it's reality TV. i wish there were more 'Retro' networks available myself, because aside from shows like King of the Hill, PBS today, and a handful of actual adult-themed shows i do like, such as Family Guy, today's shows can go where the sun don't shine. or go to MTV where all their target audiences are. the newer versions of older shows are insults to the ones who did grow up with them, and also so different they are apples compared to oranges. they keep absolutely zero of anything taken from their predecessor. if they could still hark back somewhat to the original series but with updated special effects and better acting, well i'd be happy. we'd all be happy. they'd double their ratings because the young and old love it. to me ratings being higher = more money to the network.