Question: Which TV shows from the PAST would you love your kids to watch?

Marisa

DTVUSA Member
I would love my kids to watch things like Full House, The Brady Bunch, Blossom, Fresh Prince, Family Matters, Boy Meets World, and I am sure there are others. The shows now for "families" have so many innuendos and things kids don't get it drives me nuts. Like why is Big Bang Theory on during a time that kids are awake? When I was young that show wouldnt have been on until at least after 9...

I learnt a lot about the world and my own life from growing up watching sitcoms like Roseanne and The Cosby Show. It wasn't necessarily that the families and situations in these show resembled my life or related to the places that I lived, but they were like fable life-lessons and windows on the world to me. I would show my kids these programs to give them a formative education in life and the world. I don't think the time difference is that much of a problem. Even though there are adult topics here, they are always handled responsibly, and I'd be more inclined to show them these than sitcoms like Two and a Half Men and Friends that have no bearing on the world we live in. Basically, I want them watching sitcoms from the 80s and 90s, not now!

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
The show "Wolf's Rain" would be a good, older show that I'd love to show my kids when they're pre-teen or older. It's got a lot of innovative, creative plot devices and good characters, and the whole story arc is just really well done. First step: Have kids. First first step: Get married. First first first step: Leave the house.

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
I don't have kids yet, but some past shows I would have my future kids watch (at age-appropriate points of course) would be Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, Sabrina the Teenage Witch (and basically anything else that was on TGIF but Sabrina was my favorite), My So-Called Life, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Hercules and Xena, and I Love Lucy. I'd also want them to watch a lot of nature documentaries or other educational shows.

They're actually making a sequel to Boy Meets World called Girl Meets World... I don't know how it will compare to the original but it may be worth checking out for your kids!

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
The Wonder Years.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's, and I got my oldest daughter hooked on it when she became a teenager. I think it's great for my kids to see a realistic view of the world their daddy grew up in. When the 2 youngest become teens, I'm going to have them watch the series, too.

The series is available for streaming on Netflix.

I grew up watching great shows and would love for my son to grow up loving them too- Full House, Family Matters, Tool Time, Boy Meets World, Hanah Barbera cartoons, and so many classic cartoons from the 80's and 90's that are so much better than what is on now.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
I would love my kids to watch roseanne. To me, it is one of the most "realistic" so to speak, show of a mother that has to basically take care of the family along with her husbands help. There is more to it. But growing up it was one of the things I really noticed. To me it showed that it is stressful and yet they get through it. Just to prove to my kids that being an adult is not as easy as we might make it seem to them. But they actually might not see it the way I did.

I would love my kids to watch roseanne. To me, it is one of the most "realistic" so to speak, show of a mother that has to basically take care of the family along with her husbands help. There is more to it. But growing up it was one of the things I really noticed. To me it showed that it is stressful and yet they get through it. Just to prove to my kids that being an adult is not as easy as we might make it seem to them. But they actually might not see it the way I did.
That's what I made of it growing up. Also, that it presented family life in a way that wasn't sentimental but still loving, and that parents could be cynical and sarcastic without being malicious. Watching it now, it seems unusually critically of American society for a sitcom of that era, and has a gritty, dirty realism about it that network comedies tend not to have now. The struggle of family, work and money is all there for anyone to see, and it was always the best at dealing with life issues (sex, drugs, violence etc).

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
Friends maybe? Now they have How I met your mother, The Big Bang Theory and what not... While what is the original comedy for me is Friends, nothing else. Maybe there were good ones before and after but... Friends.

<3

When I was younger, the Magic School Bus and Bill Nye the Science Guy were my favorite shows. This was before we got cable and we only had PBS. Sometimes I actually rewatch the Magic School Bus while drinking with friends haha. I still claim that that show is why I'm a scientist now :)

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
That's what I made of it growing up. Also, that it presented family life in a way that wasn't sentimental but still loving, and that parents could be cynical and sarcastic without being malicious. Watching it now, it seems unusually critically of American society for a sitcom of that era, and has a gritty, dirty realism about it that network comedies tend not to have now. The struggle of family, work and money is all there for anyone to see, and it was always the best at dealing with life issues (sex, drugs, violence etc).
I also tend to notice that Darlene was the "EMO/Outcast" type. But she was definitely my favorite. Just because even though she played that she still had a totally different side that rarely came out, but did every once in a while. It just proved to me growing up that even though you might portray yourself as one way, you actually are not always that way.

I also tend to notice that Darlene was the "EMO/Outcast" type. But she was definitely my favorite. Just because even though she played that she still had a totally different side that rarely came out, but did every once in a while. It just proved to me growing up that even though you might portray yourself as one way, you actually are not always that way.
I agree. I also remember that several characters changed their sexuality and (temporarily) gender during the series, which is an even more radical version of that idea that identity is fluid. It was also a show with several unapologetically strong women in it, and there was never any tolerance of chauvinism in latent or aggressive forms. I can't think of many shows - outside of fantasy - that do this now.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I suppose they'd be too skeptical but I love the family shows of the 50s and 60s, from Ozzie and Harriet to My Three Sons. Good entertainment and lots of values and lessons to be learned within.