White Van Speaker Scam

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Well folks, after being approached this weekend again by a group of people trying to sell "over stock" home theater speakers at low prices, I wanted to post a warning to everyone.

Buyer Beware. Here's a news report about it: Police warn of home-theater system parking lot scam | WSBT South Bend - Your Local News Leader | Local News

...police say, merchandise for sale is of poor quality, despite what customers are led to believe when the sellers quote the manufacturer’s suggested retail price.
I've been approached by these people over the past decade, and it's amazing that it's almost the same type of offer/van/scam that's being continued.

More info at: White van speakers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Nice reference to Wiki, I've been approached by these people for years here in Phoenix, AZ. It's amazing that they still operate under the same conditions and approach. I wonder where the subpar equipment comes from?

One scary item from that Wiki article, is, it sounds like that equipment is making it on to Ebay for sale. Which completely destroys any trust in buying Home Theater Speakers off of their for me. They probably buy a brand name housing for their speakers and sell it off under that name brand. An unsuspecting consumer would probably never know the difference.

jack

DTVUSA Member
White van speakers is a scam sales technique in which the buyer is convinced he is getting a good price on merchandise on the premise that it has been stolen or embezzled from the salesman's employer. The salesmen in this type of scam refer to themselves as "speakermen

andrew25

DTVUSA Member
My friends had experienced a similar scam like this. He was attracted by the ultra cheap price and after two days nothing in that machine worked and I advice him to get rid of it and his ignorance once for all. :violin:

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
I would never buy on a place like that.

Sorry, but if I want a real cheap sales price I have to drive to the manufacturers fabric building and buy there. It is called fabrics special sale (Fabrikverkauf) here in Germany and yes, you can buy overstock there.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I would never buy on a place like that.

Sorry, but if I want a real cheap sales price I have to drive to the manufacturers fabric building and buy there. It is called fabrics special sale (Fabrikverkauf) here in Germany and yes, you can buy overstock there.
Gernmany? :) I'd give almost anything to have some fresh Reinheitsgebot Beer brought back to the states (Some of the good stuff that we don't get here already!) :becky:

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
To late Aaron62, been in the US last month and I can tell you, you are no longer allowed to bring beer into the US.

Had to leave the bottles at the customs. (I guess they had a nice day with it(Becks), or do you believe they really destroy German beer?)

o1889528

DTVUSA Rookie
My Dad got scammed like this yesterday. sucks. I was there and I knew something was fishy but his story was convincing as hell. Got online when I came home and read the site White Van Scam and realized I have been cheated.