Who should be responsible for shared antenna?

MindyB

DTVUSA Rookie
I live in a apartment that shares one big antenna, and they're telling the tennants that they are no longer responsible for making the antenna work for digital television. I thought that all antennas were supposed to be fine after the dtv transition. Our complex is located pretty far out and I tried to connect my TV to the converter, but all I get is a weak signal after I do a channel scan.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I live in a apartment that shares one big antenna, and they're telling the tennants that they are no longer responsible for making the antenna work for digital television. I thought that all antennas were supposed to be fine after the dtv transition. Our complex is located pretty far out and I tried to connect my TV to the converter, but all I get is a weak signal after I do a channel scan.
MindyB, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. Sorry to hear you're having problems since the transition date. I don't think it's a law that apartments maintain an antenna, but it's good for keeping tenants in their building. If I were in your shoes. I would have the apartment manager look at this thread that you started. Maybe the manager is inexperienced with DTV reception. We can probably walk him or her through the steps to help the tenants in your apartment complex. Worst case would be all the tenants split the cost of upgrading the antenna. If the manager isn't interested in working with you to get the reception problem corrected, post back and we'll go from there. Go to TV Fool enter your address and copy and paste the results in your next post. This will help us to help you.

Piggie

Super Moderator
If the tenants have their own converter boxes, then even if the landlord wants tenants to split the cost of new antenna system it would not be expensive. Some of the fanciest antenna systems are only at the most $250. It would not take many tenants to split that to make the cost come down per tenant.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Well, I go back to the basic question though: Are we sure that it is the antenna that isn't working (as opposed to individual tenants having tuners that aren't sensitive or robust enough, given how far out the building is from the transmitters)?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I don't think it's a law that apartments maintain an antenna, but it's good for keeping tenants in their building.
That's (generally) correct. Indeed, the only relevant (federal) law is one that allows individual tenants to set up their own antennas, on their own limited access or limited common access spaces (i.e., inside their own apartments; on a "private" balcony, terrace or patio; etc.) subject to reasonable limitations.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Well, I go back to the basic question though: Are we sure that it is the antenna that isn't working (as opposed to individual tenants having tuners that aren't sensitive or robust enough, given how far out the building is from the transmitters)?
Well to take it to the next level would an internet site survey call TVFool.com, but unless her landlord agrees to upgrade the system, it's moot.