Whose gonna continue watching?

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
This kind of goes along with the whole controversy, but several people have told me that because of the results they will no longer be watching American Idol. I don't know if I would go that far because I find Simon entertaining, but I do understand the point. Now we ALL know that Adam is going to succeed regardless. But doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of the show if Adam intentionally foiled up a song, and when one state (that happened to be Kris's home state) gets access to thousands of extra votes? Because of all of that, I can see where many would be turned off from the show. A friend of mine who has been a hardcore AI fan since season one has even ditched the dvds she had.

Anyone else? Has this past season affected your decision to watch again?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I think I'll still watch it regardless of the scam played on the viewers. The show is still very entertaining.
This kind of goes along with the whole controversy, but several people have told me that because of the results they will no longer be watching American Idol. I don't know if I would go that far because I find Simon entertaining, but I do understand the point. Now we ALL know that Adam is going to succeed regardless. But doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of the show if Adam intentionally foiled up a song, and when one state (that happened to be Kris's home state) gets access to thousands of extra votes? Because of all of that, I can see where many would be turned off from the show. A friend of mine who has been a hardcore AI fan since season one has even ditched the dvds she had.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
This kind of goes along with the whole controversy
Which is silly, IMHO. The controversy aspect of this is far more likely to be something cooked up by nay-sayers, long-time critics of American Idol, folks who hate reality programming and/or competitions in general, etc. Every year there is something, and that something is always a non-issue, except to people who are working really hard to find a reason to have something bad to say or think about AI.

but several people have told me that because of the results they will no longer be watching American Idol.
And I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell you. :) As I alluded to earlier, there are a number of other, far more plausible reasons that those people are not going to be watching American Idol. But heck, if the "controversy" gives them an excuse to do what they want to do anyway, that's fine -- but it sure would be better for them to just admit that they simply don't want to watch AI anymore, instead of engaging in this elaborate ruse. :)

My wife and I stopped watching AI religiously last year. We did catch episodes here and there, this year, on the television in the kitchen, which we'd turn on while making and eating dinner. So basically, AI went from being prime time programming, which we watched on our HDTV, to background noise. :)

And that happened because we lost interest; simply because we found other programs that were more interesting to watch.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I'm not saying that I buy into the whole "AI is rigged". You are right; people have been saying it since Clay Aiken lost and the show's popularity hasn't lagged because of the rumors. However, I've heard some really upset people saying that there is no way they would be watching again because of the whole Adam vs. Kris thing, but eh, could be hot air.

I'm gonna keep watching because just as someone just said, it is still entertaining.

FanFair

DTVUSA Rookie
May not stay a fan of American Idol

Why aren't people getting the fact that it just isn't about 1 or 38 million votes, the fact is that AT&T cheated -plain and simple! Whether they cheated for Kris or they cheated for Adam isn't the point. I don't know about others, but I was raised with the fact that CHEATING IS WRONG! American Idol is acting like this is no big deal and that's what makes this even worse. I've spent countless hours every year DIALING A PHONE # and voting for my favorite contestant along with millions of other people and now I truly believe that none of that mattered. I sent an open letter of complaint to AI and AT&T but haven't received a response. I want American Idol to stop the AT&T monopoly - allow everyone to text regardless of their phone carrier. Better yet, GET RID OF AT&T altogether. If AI doesn't do this, it creates an air of suspiciousness which may not get them through another season! THE FANS ARE THE REASON AI IS THE #1 SHOW - NOT AT&T.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
So that's really your agenda... it's not anti-AI, but rather anti-AT&T.

I don't see anything wrong with refusing to watch a show because you don't like the sponsors. In a way, watching a show on a broadcast network is kind-of like accepting a gift from the sponsor, and I wouldn't accept a gift from someone who is someone I explicitly don't like.

Thomas G

Contributor
It's a good show, and my family and I plan on watching again next season. Hopefully it won't happen again, but after reading what AT&T technically did, I just don't think they broke any rules. Did they help Kris win? Yes. Did they help Adam too? No. Is it fair? Probably not, and if American Idol really thinks something like this matters, they'll make some new voting rules.

Would be funny to see next year, if all of the big voting parties have much more influence over the show outcome because they're all armed with power texting phones? I can see another scandel brewing.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
pfft, I only watch the first part of the season anyway. For some reason I get a rise out of people making big fools of themselves and then taking the judges seriously when they tell them they're lousy.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
When we were watching AI, that's the portion of the season we would skip. We typically would start watching during Hollywood Week.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
When we were watching AI, that's the portion of the season we would skip. We typically would start watching during Hollywood Week.
I have friends divided up in three group. The first group only watches the beginning when people are making fools of themselves. The second group watches when they get to Hollywood. The third watches the entire season. I pretty much watch the entire season myself. There was one season though that I just didn't too much care for and missed lots of episodes. It was the one where Jordyn Sparks won. I don't know why, but just couldn't get into the contestants that season.

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
I have friends divided up in three group. The first group only watches the beginning when people are making fools of themselves. The second group watches when they get to Hollywood. The third watches the entire season. I pretty much watch the entire season myself. There was one season though that I just didn't too much care for and missed lots of episodes. It was the one where Jordyn Sparks won. I don't know why, but just couldn't get into the contestants that season.
Same here, it's a big thing for people to talk about at work too. Funny how a TV show can captivate so many people.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Adam Lambert thinks the whole thing is ridiculous; he could care less, which I thought was very interesting. It won't affect me because stuff happens all the time. I think Dancing with the Stars had some forced rigging on the judges side this year. It was a very noticeable pattern for me. I'm more angry over that than I am AI. After all, after Archuleta lost to Cook, nothing would surprise me.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
That actually proves that there isn't rigging, since clearly Kris is the more Archuleta-like performer, and Adam is the more Cook-like performer. If the producers saw fit to affect the outcome, then we'd either have had Cook + Adam win, or Archuleta + Kris win.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
That actually proves that there isn't rigging, since clearly Kris is the more Archuleta-like performer, and Adam is the more Cook-like performer. If the producers saw fit to affect the outcome, then we'd either have had Cook + Adam win, or Archuleta + Kris win.
Yeah, I see exactly what you mean. People are saying that AI wants only a clean cut squeaky image, yet Cook beat out Archuleta...go figure...

Aries

DTVUSA Member
I find the controversies to be more entertaining. Still, a lot of the show is scripted, and scripts mess up reality shows. I would laugh my head off if a bunch of people went on American Idol for the sole purpose of derailing the show by singing death metal remixes of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star halfway through.