Why 3D doesn't work and never will. Case closed.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Why 3D doesn't work and never will. Case closed. - Roger Ebert's Journal

From Roger Ebert's article:

"I received a letter that ends, as far as I am concerned, the discussion about 3D. It doesn't work with our brains and it never will." ...

... "This letter is from Walter Murch, seen at left, the most respected film editor and sound designer in the modern cinema. As a editor, he must be intimately expert with how an image interacts with the audience's eyes. He won an Academy Award in 1979 for his work on "Apocalypse Now," whose sound was a crucial aspect of its effect." ...

Why 3D doesn't work and never will. Case closed. - Roger Ebert's Journal

From Roger Ebert's article:

"I received a letter that ends, as far as I am concerned, the discussion about 3D. It doesn't work with our brains and it never will." ...
... "This letter is from Walter Murch, seen at left, the most respected film editor and sound designer in the modern cinema. As a editor, he must be intimately expert with how an image interacts with the audience's eyes. He won an Academy Award in 1979 for his work on "Apocalypse Now," whose sound was a crucial aspect of its effect." ...
Yes, there are always the purests...
If using the illusion of parallax doesn't work well, think of a new way more inline with the way the optics work in the eye and the brain... Everyone can point out problems, but rarely ever offer solutions.
You hate me don't ya, and you knew I would reply LOL!
BTW, I have a library of over a 1000 movies, and I don't own one of those.... Apocalypse Now.. Na.... I rather Jarhead, Band of Brothers, Full Metal Jacket....

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
We're in the very early stages of 3D though, so it's funny to see the pros get so heated about what a better viewing experience is. It doesn't matter anyway, 5 years from now, we'll have to upgrade our HDTVs again to accommodate for the new holographic format.

We're in the very early stages of 3D though, so it's funny to see the pros get so heated about what a better viewing experience is. It doesn't matter anyway, 5 years from now, we'll have to upgrade our HDTVs again to accommodate for the new holographic format.
I really can't wait for laser TV's, the image is supposed to be phenominal...laser has always been pricey though... Holographs can be pretty DIY, they are just quite bulky boxes at the moment. Innovision has one, but the guy doesn't explain because it's pretty low fi.