Why are Blu-ray DVD's so expensive?

tomcat

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I upgraded not long ago to Blu-ray because I had bought a newer 1080p resolution HDTV.

Comparatively to DVD discs, I don't understand why Blu-ray discs are so expensive? $20 for most new movies is more than I want to pay.

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
$20 ainty nothing depends where you get them for one and 2 the blu ray holds higher quality video/features so your paying for the extra quality

KrissB

DTVUSA Member
Or just think of it as a marketing ploy to put your wallet on a diet? :p

I've yet to get anything really more out of a Blu-Ray than I do with a DVD, I buy a movie to watch the movie and that's it! Sure, the kids might enjoy all the extras, but myself, they are just time wasters to me, I kind of have to agree with "tomcat" on this. However the quality is better, but all in all, how much more quality are we getting. Maybe if I bought a movie 2x (or just rent the same movie in Blu-ray and DVD on 2 exact TV's to...) wait, no I'm not buying another 60" TV :p I believe the quality is better, if it isn't, I'll just keep telling myself it is! :p

KrissB

Side note, has anyone found anything amazing as an extra on any/a Blu-ray disc that wasn't downloaded/streamed from the internet?

MMkaho

DTVUSA Member
Or just think of it as a marketing ploy to put your wallet on a diet? :p

I've yet to get anything really more out of a Blu-Ray than I do with a DVD, I buy a movie to watch the movie and that's it! Sure, the kids might enjoy all the extras, but myself, they are just time wasters to me, I kind of have to agree with "tomcat" on this. However the quality is better, but all in all, how much more quality are we getting. Maybe if I bought a movie 2x (or just rent the same movie in Blu-ray and DVD on 2 exact TV's to...) wait, no I'm not buying another 60" TV :p I believe the quality is better, if it isn't, I'll just keep telling myself it is! :p

KrissB

Side note, has anyone found anything amazing as an extra on any/a Blu-ray disc that wasn't downloaded/streamed from the internet?
also your right they gotta cash in on new technology ;)

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I only buy Blu-ray when the price is just a dollar or 2 more than DVD, or if the movie has really great visuals. I rent in DVD format unless the visuals are spectacular or if Redbox/Netflix is out of the DVD version.

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
They're more than DVDs now, because DVDs are older technology and Blu-rays are "better." The stores charge whatever they think they can get away with. I can remember when DVDs were a lot more than $20 (In fact, I can remember when many VHS were around $150 or more, because they didn't intend for individuals to buy them at that price, just rental stores!) Each came down in price as it was replaced by new tech.

Whether it's worth it, or whether $20 is too much, is a matter of opinion. (Personally I agree that $20 is too much for one movie and that's why I don't buy them very often at all! I used to buy more DVDs but now with streaming options I've cut way back, and anything that doesn't stream I just rent on DVD from Netflix.)

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
Yeah, I agree with the people saying that the extra features aren't the reason to get a Blu-ray. Those extra features and more are, in all probability, already online.

However, and you can call me spoiled, I would say that the 1080p resolution is definitely worth the extra money. It looks too good to watch the equivalent on DVD, for the most part.

Yeah, if we are going to buy a DVD anymore, we will buy the Blu-Ray. If we're buying the electronic copy, it will just depend on what the movie is, but the few DVDs that we've bought recently have come with the ability to download an HD copy with the price of the disc. My kids sometimes watch the special features with the animations, but can't say that I ever have done so.

G

The blu ray holds higher quality video/features so your paying for the extra quality. Why are you want to buy blu-ray disc rather than other discs?

Jim5506

DTVUSA Member
Just bought the entire Harry Potter Series (8 Blu-Rays) at Wally World in a clearance bin for $7.89 each.

All sorts of other good movies in there, too - all last years and earlier releases.

If you have patience and do not buy them on the day they are released, you can find some excellent bargains.

The DVD clearance bin was like $5.98 or such, but I never even consider DVDs anymore.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I watch clearance merchandise like a hawk. For kids, the DVDs are fine. I also rip to portable devices, some with SD video, so if I can get a DVD for less than the price of a rental or digital copy - sure!