Why do I keep losing KGO channel 7

I ditched my cable a few weeks ago when I got my converter box (Tivax STB-T8) and an indoor antenna (also Tivax). I was pleased enough with my reception as I was able to get ABC, CBS and Fox in addition to PBS and others. With some experimentation with the antenna, I can now pull in NBC. Last weekend I suddenly lost KGO, the ABC affiliate. The converter box just skipped right over it as if it wasn't there. I kept rescanning to no avail. A few days later, it just as mysteriously reappeared. Now it's done it again. I've lost KGO and can't seem to get it back. I live in San Jose (95126), about 40 miles from the transmitters. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Thanks.

Frank

Maybe you're too distant and the box is not able to lock onto it during any kind of weather (wind, rain, etc) or it's a spotty signal?

Some boxes literally delete channels all on their own when they 'red zone' (meaning it is a weak or badly fluctuating signal (common on VHF) and the box gives up later and sometimes goes so far as to 'delete' it in the lineup)

I don't know why some boxes delete/red zone on channels as if the tuner would blow up if it kept trying to lock onto it but some do. seems to be no logical point to it myself. i'm lucky to pick up any VHF channels at all and i live only 20 miles away from our Channel 7 (FOX) so i'm surprised you're picking it up at all. my UHF though is rock-solid and hardly changes position on the signal meter. even the weaker ones are watchable but only on my Apex box. the Zenith is bad about redzoning weak channels.

Last edited:
I ditched my cable a few weeks ago when I got my converter box (Tivax STB-T8) and an indoor antenna (also Tivax). I was pleased enough with my reception as I was able to get ABC, CBS and Fox in addition to PBS and others. With some experimentation with the antenna, I can now pull in NBC. Last weekend I suddenly lost KGO, the ABC affiliate. The converter box just skipped right over it as if it wasn't there. I kept rescanning to no avail. A few days later, it just as mysteriously reappeared. Now it's done it again. I've lost KGO and can't seem to get it back. I live in San Jose (95126), about 40 miles from the transmitters. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Thanks.

Frank

40 miles is way too far for an indoor antenna they are only good for 20 miles.
you need an outdoor UHF antenna pointed toward 315 degrees. antenna craft U8000 for out to 60 miles or antennas direct 91-xg will get out to 70 miles without a preamp. add a rotator and a wineguard 4800 pre amp and 91-xg will do all out to 90 miles.

Last edited:
KGO dropped from converter box

I have tried rescanning to add channels, to no avail. I have had continuing issues with reception of other channels and will probably get an outdoor antenna, but the issue I'm having with KGO just doesn't make sense. My converter box just skips right over it, it's not even there. This is the second time it's happened, just like last weekend. It was gone for about 3 days then suddenly came back, as if nothing had happened. There are other channels that are programmed into the box that sometimes don't come in at all, but the box doesn't just lose them, it still has the channels programmed.

Can anyone recommend an outdoor antenna that receives UHF and VHF, that's compact enough for patio mounting? I live in an apartment, so rooftop is out of the question.

Frank

Last edited:
Regarding directional antennas: How directional are they? There are several stations at 303 degrees (Sutro tower) and several at 299 degrees (San Bruno mountain). I'm assuming this is close enough that I wouldn't have to re-adjust the antenna by 4 degrees. Is this correct?

Frank

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
Regarding directional antennas: How directional are they? There are several stations at 303 degrees (Sutro tower) and several at 299 degrees (San Bruno mountain). I'm assuming this is close enough that I wouldn't have to re-adjust the antenna by 4 degrees. Is this correct?

Frank
shouldn't matter with 4 degrees, even if you were 125 miles away from broadcast towers.

Can you do a manual add of the channel?

dave

DTVUSA Rookie
I'm having the same problem: My Tivax just skips over KGO (7) as if it doesn't exist, but
worked just fine last week. Add scan had no effect. In Palo Alto (about 35 miles from
station) with indoor antenna. Other channels (2,4,5,9) all OK. Any other clues?

I don't know if this is a meaningful detail, but when I turned on my television Saturday night, it was already on channel 7, but was black. I changed the channel and tried to go back to channel 7, but it was gone. I tried unplugging the box and reconnecting a minute later, no go.

Frank

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
This won't help but go to channel 24 on the converter box and see if it shows a signal. That's the actual frequency assignment of KGO for now.

With two people having trouble with the channel I suspect KGO is doing some sort of maintenance on the transmitters.

Think the same thing's going on with channel 9 from Cincinnati. They just started coming in a few weeks ago but for the last four or five days we get nothing but a weak signal. No picture at all. Before a few weeks ago we couldn't get a signal from the station at all.

dave

DTVUSA Rookie
Update on KGO (7) from Palo Alto: On Tuesday 4/7 I tried the
short-form scan on my Tivax and it had no effect - still no designation if I
went to channel 7 (just blank - not KGO 7-1), black screen
and "no signal" message.

BUT then just for fun I did the long-form scan and well, well,
well KGO is now back just fine!

Now, on the FCC web site KGO is listed on RF channel 7;
it is not clear if that is the post-June 12th plan, or as of today.
And I do not know if it has recently changed. So the only
tentative conclusion I have made is: there's a substantive
important difference on the Tivax box between "Add On" scan
and "Full Auto" scan.

Last edited:
and "no signal" message.

and "Full Auto" scan.
Good to hear, could they have hopped from UHF to VHF or vice versa?? There had to be something going on, maintenance, or station engineers messing with broadcast power.

and "no signal" message.

and "Full Auto" scan.
Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight. I've been doing the "add on" scan.

Frank

F

ForFrigsSake

and "no signal" message.

and "Full Auto" scan.
THANKS DAVE was missing 2/CBS suddenly for at least 2 weeks in NYC Brooklyn. Same symptoms as above. It just disappeared, add on didn't work, manually tuning to it got nothing or sometimes 'no signal'. Re-boots, unplug, change from rca to coax, all didn't work. The FULL re-scan fixed it. That is nuts. Of course most don't want to do that if they've had to do 'adds' to get channels with an antennae.

Know this is an old post, but hoping my response might add some google hits for people who get this problem currently.

Maybe this solution is on the Tivax site, but didn't see it in top results.