Why do you think Adam lost?

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
If going by the last performances alone, it was pretty obvious that Adam did a better job, at least to me. I wonder if his non conformist style was the reason that Kris won? Or maybe it's all the photos of him kissing a guy that's floating around, which really shouldn't matter at all.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I think Adam already has a future in the music industry. He had already developed his own style. Kris was a product of American Idol. From the beginning of the show he was groomed to perform in the American Idol tradition.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Remember, at the end of Kris' performance of NO Boundaries, the judges urged America to vote on Kris' season, not that song. So, that's what they did. I don't know if the backgrounds lent into it or not. It might, Adam is gay and unconventional, Kris is straight and religious. Both are nice guys, both are talented with very different styles. I really liked them both. They'll be okay.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
There is nothing about American Idol that appeals, specifically, to young, urban viewers. My understanding is that many of American Idol's viewers are young (and not so young), but heavily suburban, not urban. And, if I remember the stats correctly, American Idol (and Deal or No Deal, Dancing with the Stars, Biggest Loser, etc.) tend to do better than other competition shows in the "heartland" (while shows like the Bachelor, Big Brother, America's Next Top Model, etc., tend to do better than other competition shows on the coasts). So American Idol's demographics naturally favor Kris' music more than Adam's. And generally, those demographics also tend to skew in opposition to tolerance regarding sexual preference.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
There is nothing about American Idol that appeals, specifically, to young, urban viewers. My understanding is that many of American Idol's viewers are young (and not so young), but heavily suburban, not urban. And, if I remember the stats correctly, American Idol (and Deal or No Deal, Dancing with the Stars, Biggest Loser, etc.) tend to do better than other competition shows in the "heartland" (while shows like the Bachelor, Big Brother, America's Next Top Model, etc., tend to do better than other competition shows on the coasts). So American Idol's demographics naturally favor Kris' music more than Adam's. And generally, those demographics also tend to skew in opposition to tolerance regarding sexual preference.
I actually thought the same thing too. There are Idol fans that are grandparents, and there are Idol fans that are in 2nd grade.

Anyhow, yes, I am sure both will be more than ok, and that both will have successful albums, but still, even if we are looking at the entire season, Adam still did better than Kris in my opinion. There was just no competition there as far as I am concerned. I am not too shocked that Kris won, but I still wonder if people are just deaf or just too conservative.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The running joke, today, is that Adam deliberately flubbed the No Boundaries song, so he isn't constrained by the AI winner's contract. He'll do just as well coming in second as he would have done winning, if not better. By contrast, I think Kris needed to win to have a chance at making the most out of his AI experience.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I agree about American Idol's overall demographics being broad, heck even my 90 year old Grandpa was routing for Adam. I meant the voter demographics.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Yes, I know. Voter demographics. There is no indication I've seen that the voter demographics vary from the demographics of the show overall, except that voters trend younger. The voters still trend towards the heartland, and do not trend toward urban demos, unless I missed a release.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I cannot help but wonder if there was a lot of anti-Adam voting, because of the vagueness surrounding his sexual preference.
What do you mean vague? I thought it was widely known he was gay. If his sexual preference had anything to do with him not becoming the latest American Idol, why did Clay Aiken receive the votes? Rumors of his sexuality had been circulating sense August 2005. There have been gay and straight from previous seasons.
I can find no facts to support demographics in regard to American Idol viewership. In American Idol Season 6 back in 2007 the viewership percentages were pretty much equal across the board from ages 18 through 65.
Who's Watching American Idol? - Pew Research Center

That was back in 2007. Now two seasons later the median age for May 19, 2009 was 42.9.
'American Idol' Audience Rapidly Aging - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News

It's like I stated in my earlier post
I think Adam already has a future in the music industry. He had already developed his own style. Kris was a product of American Idol. From the beginning of the show he was groomed to perform in the American Idol tradition.
I'm confident Adam losing had nothing to do with Conservative Heartland voters even considering his sexual preference.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
What do you mean vague? I thought it was widely known he was gay.
It still isn't clear if he is gay (or bi). He surely didn't confirm it... his reply to direct questions along those lines were, consistently and explicitly, vague. That is what I was referring to.

If his sexual preference had anything to do with him not becoming the latest American Idol, why did Clay Aiken receive the votes?
If you remember back that far, it was clear he was effeminate, but there were back-door denials that he was gay. He "came out" years later. By contrast, if Adam ever does say something that isn't vague about this, it won't be a "coming out" but rather a clarification, nothing more.

It's like I stated in my earlier post I'm confident Adam losing had nothing to do with Conservative Heartland voters even considering his sexual preference.
And I'm confident that it was a factor. We can agree to disagree agreeably. :thumb:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
It still isn't clear if he is gay (or bi). He surely didn't confirm it... his reply to direct questions along those lines were, consistently and explicitly, vague. That is what I was referring to.

If you remember back that far, it was clear he was effeminate, but there were back-door denials that he was gay. He "came out" years later. By contrast, if Adam ever does say something that isn't vague about this, it won't be a "coming out" but rather a clarification, nothing more.

And I'm confident that it was a factor. We can agree to disagree agreeably. :thumb:
Gays don't need to explain/confirm their sexuality any more than heterosexuals do. But it seems pretty clear to many others and probably the majority of Adam Lambert fans, that he is gay. The following link is just one in the 394,000 results with Adam Lambert tongue kissing a guy.

Adam Lambert Gay Kiss Photos | Ready2Beat

There are many who paint the Heartland with a broad brush. Just because they are God fearing conservative people, doesn't mean they are against gays. I have a differing view of Americans. Agreeable, we do disagree:thumb:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I really like this guys point of view and agree completely with his statement.

Queer Eye For The Straight Guy's Jai Rodriguez told RadarOnline.com, "As an openly gay contestant on a competition reality singing show produced by Simon Cowell (Celebrity Duets) I was a front runner. Being gay didn't negatively effect me. Being the front runner did. People didn't think I NEEDED the votes. Me being gay didn't seem to bother them. Adam Lambert is an incredible talent. It will serve him better in the long run NOT to have won."

Did Adam Lambert Lose Idol Because He's Perceived As Gay? | RadarOnline.com