Why penalize customer when DTV's shipper can't do their job in a reasonable time? - D

I'm getting charged for the non-return of a bad receiver that I returned on 11/29. It didn't arrive at DTV yet (almost one month later). I used DTV's ship label and gave it to USPS on 11/29 (I have the receipt). Acc to DTV USPS shipped it a couple of hundred miles and gave it to Fed-Ex, Fed-Ex sent it to Phoenix, and then sent it on 12/9 "smart post" to Texas where they will (I hope) give it to USPS again. Isn't the principle of shipping that whoever choses the shipper and pays for the shipping is responsible for the shipment? My responsibility was to give it to USPS in a timely manner and I did that, but now I have an extra $135 bill at xmas. Customer Service says they can't reverse the charge until they get the receiver, does that mean that if THEIR carrier loses it I'm on the hook?

This question, "Why penalize customer when DTV's shipper can't do their job in a reasonable time?," is about DirecTV channels, programming, equipment, and sports.