Why the Switch?

attagirl

DTVUSA Member
I wondered this question myself, so I thought others might be interested in seeing the answer that I found as to why the switch from analog to digital. Here ya go!

DTV technology is more flexible and efficient than the current analog system, that we have been using. The switch to digital allows television stations and opportunity to offer crystal-clear pictures and sound as well as more channels and programming.

Apparently there was an act passed in 2005 called the The Deficit Reduction Act which requires full-power television stations to stop broadcasting in analog channels by February 17, 2009 and begin broadcasting exclusively in a digital format.

What this does is free up parts of the airwaves. This helps TV stations to improve their services.

Bobbi

DTVUSA Jr. Member
This also gives them more channels in the same bandwidth and that means more advertising. That means more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. It's always about the money. Crystal clear is debatable. I still have to adjust my antenna, no different than before. Time will tell how successful this really is. Regardless, we are stuck with it so I hope that everyone will be able to find a solutions to your specific problems. Good work finding the reason for the change, Attagirl. Thanks.

Fardreamer

DTVUSA Member
Actually, there's also more to this than meets the eye.

The change from analog to digital has been brewing over the past twelve (12) years, ever since Congress passed the Telecommunications Act of 1996 - the same one which "supposedly" was going to result in lower cable bills.

What attagirl didn't mention is that now the analog spectrum is also gonna be alloted to government entities for emergency radios and whatnot. It's fairly complicated, but that's one of the other reasons for the switchover.

Lucinda

DTVUSA Jr. Member
This is pretty much what I've been told, too, only you guyz make it clearer....as I've been a bit too lax about actually looking up info! But yeah, it's always about getting more money, isn't it?

Thru experimentation, I've discovered a whole lot of analog stations that I never knew existed. We have a better TV set now than formerly...it isn't brand-new, it's about 7 yrs old but not used that much by the former owner. Our rooftop antenna is very old and ought to be replaced...someday...but with the new set, it does seem to be working right well. Our Magnavox DVR unit has been a godsend, as we were never able to connect the old TV to a converter box. The newer TV would probably accept a converter connection, but with the Magnavox unit we don't need to worry about that. I have two other older TV's in the house but those can't be connected to a converter box either...unfortunately...since they are just TOO old and don't have the right sockets.

But, before I digress too much and lose my train of thought, I wanted to ask what will become of all of those many, many analog stations that are perfectly fine right now and give a decent signal (even if some might be a tad weak or snowy, but no matter)...? Will they all just disappear or will they perhaps be replaced by new digital stations?

What I like about my DVR/tuner outfit is that I can currently switch off from it to analog TV and view a program while recording something competing with it on a digital station. Or, vice versa. Of course, with only ONE tuner, we can not view a program on digital TV and at the same time switch to another digital station to record...as in the old "simpler" days of VCR switcheroo. Since we only have one TV in the house that receives digital signals, I am REALLY going to miss this capability once February rolls around...unless we can figure out a means of getting DTV access elsewhere in my home. My older brother said this could be done, but he would have to crawl under the house to install the wall-socket. What this means, I have no idea!! He's a big guy and said he isn't sure he could get into the crawl space (we have no basement). I'm small and could do it myself...IF I knew how!!

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
But, before I digress too much and lose my train of thought, I wanted to ask what will become of all of those many, many analog stations that are perfectly fine right now and give a decent signal (even if some might be a tad weak or snowy, but no matter)...? Will they all just disappear or will they perhaps be replaced by new digital stations?
Great question! Analog broadcast stations aren't going to dissapear, they're converting to digital as well. It's a little more complicated (than what I know!), but TV stations are basically going to convert to digital broadcasts, and give up the analog frequencies, which will be in turn be used for emergency services, provide wireless service (to be auctioned off by cellular companies), and wireless broadband services (also to be auctioned off by cellular companies).

Lucinda

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Great question! Analog broadcast stations aren't going to dissapear, they're converting to digital as well. It's a little more complicated (than what I know!), but TV stations are basically going to convert to digital broadcasts, and give up the analog frequencies, which will be in turn be used for emergency services, provide wireless service (to be auctioned off by cellular companies), and wireless broadband services (also to be auctioned off by cellular companies).
YYIIPPEEE!!! :D Then I can still watch "Matlock" and "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader"!!!...even though, like I said, I will miss the neat feature I enjoy currently of being able to record one program and watch a different 'conflicting' one on a separate input. Can't do that no more after Feb. of '09, unless I can somehow get a second diggy TV in my home.

lalajean

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yeah, I heard about how the law was going to change the amount to regulate how much they can charge. But it appears to me that they keep getting higher and higher rates. Always about taking our money.

DTVblues

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Apparently, the cable and dish networks will be the ones to benefit. Without them you will not be able to record your favourite TV shows! People like myself will be forced to either pay or never record again!!!! Their are no recorders of any kind that you can program using decimals!!!!!