Will an HD receiver work with an non-HD TV?

johngalt

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Just had my direct tv receiver burn out. We haven't bought an HD tv yet but probably will within the next year or so. If I get a new HD receiver, will it work with our current non-HD TV?
Thanks in advance.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
As long as it has analog outputs, compatible with your analog television, you should be able to hook it up.

If you post the model numbers for the HD tuner box you're looking at, and your current analog television, we can provide more specific info.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Just had my direct tv receiver burn out. We haven't bought an HD tv yet but probably will within the next year or so. If I get a new HD receiver, will it work with our current non-HD TV?
Thanks in advance.
johngalt, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. Most HD receivers include both SD outputs and HD outputs. Verify the new receiver includes the SD outputs before purchasing. Then you just connect to your SD TV using the SD outputs.

johngalt

DTVUSA Jr. Member
As long as it has analog outputs, compatible with your analog television, you should be able to hook it up.

If you post the model numbers for the HD tuner box you're looking at, and your current analog television, we can provide more specific info.
Sorry, the TV is digital (Sony Vega), it's just not HD.

Just don't want to get an SD Direct TV receiver now and then have to get an HD one when we get a new HD TV.

So will an HD receiver work with an SD TV?

Thanks

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
You can get on the Directv website and shop for a receiver. I don't want to tell you which receiver to purchase. Just an FYI, the Directv HR22 500-Hours HD DVR will work for you. Search for the features you want on their website before purchasing. I believe any newer Directv receiver should work for you, but verify it first, so you aren't stuck purchasing another receiver later on.