Question: Will Comcast ever ditch analog signals?

Fardreamer

DTVUSA Member
Now that the federally-mandated DTV switchover has been made and most, if not all, TV stations in the US are supposed to be broadcasting in digital and not analog signals, why are cable providers still carrying the fuzzier (on HDTVs, anyway) analog versions of cable and over-the-air networks? Is this a business practice adopted by Comcast to get customers to buy more expensive packages with all HD programming or have us rent cable boxes? Is it a federally-mandated rule to keep analog signals for those who didn't get digital converter boxes? Is it a technical issue that makes it more expensive for Comcast to ditch analog signals altogether?

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
You might find this recent thread to be of interest: Sooner or later, Comcast is going to convert all remaining analog subs over to digital service so as to maximize its television "pipeline" everywhere.

It's reasonable to suppose the digital rollout is being done market by market because it's costing Comcast a fair amount of money, chiefly for system repairs/upgrades and for converter-box purchases. Comcast is apparently subsidizing conversions by providing the first one or two boxes free of rental charges to households needing them.

Please note that the thread starter takes the diametrically opposed view of this subject...

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The regulations require that if a service provider provides any local broadcast channels via analog that they must carry them all via analog. They cannot effectively favor some local channels over others. In addition, Comcast has voluntarily agreed to keep analog service in most of their service areas until 2012.

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
it should be mentioned that Comcast is actually WAY ahead of all the other cable companies in the US when it comes to dumping analog. In many areas Comcast has already dumped analog.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Comcast is way ahead of the legacy cable companies, yes. They are, of course, behind the alternative terrestrial subscription television service providers, such as U-Verse, FiOS and RCN, in this regard.

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
Comcast is way ahead of the legacy cable companies, yes. They are, of course, behind the alternative terrestrial subscription television service providers, such as U-Verse, FiOS and RCN, in this regard.
Yeah that's why I said CABLE. U-verse and Fios aren't cable in my book any more than DirecTv is.

SWHouston

Staff member
My understanding of when Comcast will stop transmitting Analog, and go to completely Digital, will be in about 2 years. That's in my area.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.