will dtv reception improve?

Tom12241

DTVUSA Rookie
we don't watch much TV over the antenna but we do for some subchannel stuff. tonight's news cast in on WNYT mentioned something about some stations improving after the transition but we missed most of it. we have THE CHEAPEST antenna you've ever seen and it actually works well except a few of the substations get jumbled up.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I found this notation about WNYT on RabbitEars.info:
Reduction - to lower analog ERP to 40% to reduce problems on DTV 12
So yes, things will improve for WNYT viewers on June 12. (I think WNYT is operating Nightlight service after June 12, but Nightlight service is at lower power, and therefore presents less interference, than regular analog service.)

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I think it will improve most everywhere over time as stations are able to upgrade their towers and equipment. This technology is getting better, so it's just a waiting game for some.

many stations are still running low power on the digital side and the transmitters are still not on the top of the tower. After analog goes away, stations will be working on it more.

Piggie

Super Moderator
we don't watch much TV over the antenna but we do for some subchannel stuff. tonight's news cast in on WNYT mentioned something about some stations improving after the transition but we missed most of it. we have THE CHEAPEST antenna you've ever seen and it actually works well except a few of the substations get jumbled up.
WNYT is running 9.1 KW ERP and has applied to the FCC to raise power to 15KW, but it has not been approved. Still that is hardly noticeable increase in power. The fact they applied to raise power in June of 2008 and have not yet been approved is not a good sign. The band are so crowed now in the NE US, that most stations can't run max power.

A few other changes for you area.

WRGB is moving back to channel 6

It appears all your other stations have already been granted and running their increased power for quite awhile.

There is urban legend going around the news depts that it will all be better post transition, where in fact it's true in some cases, not most.

I know locally around me talking to relatives and neighbors, they said they were staying on analog until June 12th, because they heard stations were not ready yet.

I told them well here in the Gainesville/Jacksonville/Orlando area, sorry but they all have been up to speed, some for years and the last changes happened on just 3 stations out of 30 or so between the towns that had any last minute changes and they were all complete by mid April. Hence they might as well switch over. Yet the TV news people keep spouting the urban legend rumor.

Also by the way, if you get the main channel of a station fine, then you will get the sub program just as well. The picture quality of some sub program channels are not up to par and not as clear as the main program on a channel, that has nothing to do with how well you receive the channel but how the station transmits a sub program channel. So if you are say getting WTEN 10.1 clear, but RTN on 10.3 doesn't look as good that is not reception, but the way it's being transmitted. Why is another long story it's not as good.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
WNYT actually has UHF translators that have just flash-cut to digital, so in a few fringe areas, it's probably very easy to receive.

- Trip