Question: Will mobile tv work after dtv transission?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Do you mean, an old analog portable - battery operated - TV?

The short answer is NO.

However, if you can get a converter box that has a wall-wart power supply, you can make a DC power pack that will power your converter box. I found a list of converters that take an external power supply here:Additional Features Matrix for the NTIA Coupon-Eligible Converter Boxes. You can search Amazon for converter boxes here: Search Amazon for DTV converter boxes.

Here is a guide to powering an Artec t3a pro converter box from a car: RVs and Converter Boxes, however, since it's a 12v converter box, I really don't know why they used a $25 universal adapter, Enercell Universal DC Power Adapter : Car Adapters | RadioShack.com , since just wiring from 12v to a $3 type M plug from radio shack Size M Coaxial DC Power Plug (2-Pack) - RadioShack.com would work.

Here's a link to the Artec converter on Google products: Artec T3a Pro Digital-to-Analog TV Converter Box , and on Amazon: Artec T3a Pro

I also have a laptop with a USB stick DTV tuner that works great, this is a very good solution since it has a pretty big screen compared to a portable TV.

I just gave up and bought a new portable TV at Walmart a few months ago. It uses less power than a combo CTR analog TV and converter and it's way smaller. It does have some drawbacks: it's batteries are internal rechargeable, not standard cells that can be replaced when they die or run out (battery life is about 2.5 hours). It also doesn't have a 12v adapter, since you can't use standard DTV while moving, they didn't fee they needed to include one. Luckily, I have a car adapter I can use for it. It also doesn't have any other input except the antenna coax connector. I'm sure there are models that have better features than mine does, but it was on sale on Black Friday.

You can find several of them at Amazon for under $100 HERE: Portable DTV

Beware: all those little bitty antennas that come with portable TVs and USB tuner sticks are useless unless you live in a place with strong signals. Get yourself a better antenna.

There is a new standard for MOBILE dtv, that can be used while moving. You may want to wait until more mobile dtv devices are available (maybe even in smart cell phones, but don't hold your breath!) Maybe other members here can give you some advice about what mobile DTV devices ARE available now.

Last edited: