William Shatner: Love him or Hate him...

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
The man has had unbelievable staying power in the film and television industry. Notice how I didn't mention his singing career, there's a good reason for that. :p

Anyway, looks like William Shatner has been added to AOL/Walletpop's list of favorite celebrity pitchmen (and women) of all time. Priceline has been using Shatner for close to 10 years now in television and internet ads. I don't mind the ads so much, but when Bill Shatner picks up his guitar and starts to strum, I head for the hills. :eek:

Ten years ago, consumers first heard William Shatner proclaim that priceline.com would be "big...really big." That decade of association has paid off. AOL's personal finance site WalletPop www.walletpop.com has named Shatner to the list of its favorite celebrity spokespeople of all time. Shatner joins a star-studded list of pitchmen (and women) that includes Bill Cosby, Michael Jordan and Brooke Shields.
Link to the story:

Priceline.com's William Shatner Makes AOL's List Of Top Celebrity Spokespeople Of All Time - MarketWatch

teresa

DTVUSA Member
William Shatner is an icon no matter how you look at it. Trekkis all over the world adore him. I'd like him alot more if he would just stop doing those stupid commercials. It's cool to mix some comedy in with his character in Boston Legal, but's he's not very funny in the tv ads. He just looks and sounds stupid.

I really can't believe he's stuck around as long as he has. In my mind, he will always be Captain James T. Kirk. As for his singing, I try not to think about that part of his career because it hurts my head. :)

teresa

DTVUSA Member
There are alot of celebrities who can't sing, but they still do. And you know what? They are laughing (and singing) all the way to the bank as long as we keep listening and watching the you tube videos.

aclowers

DTVUSA Member
I grew up watching William Shatner on Star Trek. So, I remember him in the prime of his life. Those dreamy eyes, smile, physic, well you know what I mean. So, yes I do have a soft spot for him in my heart.

Taki

DTVUSA Member
I enjoyed William Shatner in all of his movies, but I pay absolutely no attention to him in advertisements. In fact I pay no attention to advertisements at all. I do remember seeing him in a World of Warcraft ad, but only because it was on the WoW site, not because I seen it on TV.

I'm one of those people that consider a product having a celebrity spokesperson to be a bad reflection on the celebrity. it actually makes me think worse of the celebrity in question because the advertising is so annoying to me.

laparks

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I'm not a Star Trek fan, so don't really have a good or bad opinion of William Shatner, but that short-lived game show that he hosted a couple of years ago "Show Me the Money".... omg that was horrid!!! lol I knew that show wouldn't last for long!!!

Fardreamer

DTVUSA Member
I grew up watching William Shatner on Star Trek. So, I remember him in the prime of his life. Those dreamy eyes, smile, physic, well you know what I mean. So, yes I do have a soft spot for him in my heart.
Interesting William Shatner fact: He doesn't have pictures of himself all over the house, much less any of him as Capt. James T. Kirk when he was in his 30s and at the height of his popularity. He says - in the introduction to a book that I have - that it is to avoid seeing the passage of time in his life.

I think he's a good, if somewhat hammy, actor. I liked him best as fifty-something Kirk (in the feature films of Star Trek) and ignored him in T.J. Hooker and Boston Legal.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Chris Pine (the young Kirk in next year's Star Trek film) will try to get some of the Shatner mannerisms into his version of the character.

Voyager

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I don't know why people don't like him. But, we all have different taste. I loved him in Star Trek and the movies. I couldn't really get in to T.J. Hooker. I don't know if it was because I couldn't relate him to something besides Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise or I was just jealous of his co-star. She was just so darn beautiful, it's just not fair. :rolleyes:

MommyKim

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have been a fan of his since my Trekkie days growing up. I still watch the old reruns from time to time. They are so corny now lol but he was a sight to behold in those days!
He really has done well for himself as an actor and a businessman. You have to give him credit for that!
I admire him for all that he has accomplished in his life.

The man definitely wants to explore all areas of his talent. This man has been on so many types of TV shows it is impossible to count. My favorite was Star Trek; he was marvelous, and very sexy.:rolleyes:

I don't know why people don't like him. But, we all have different taste. I loved him in Star Trek and the movies. I couldn't really get in to T.J. Hooker. I don't know if it was because I couldn't relate him to something besides Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise or I was just jealous of his co-star. She was just so darn beautiful, it's just not fair. :rolleyes:
I don't dislike hm, but I also can't relate to any non-James T. Kirk role Shatner played after the 1960s. I tried liking his T.J. Hooker series on ABC but never did get into it either.

I do love Shatner in the Twilight Zone episode he did with the "gremlin" on the plane, though!