Windows 7

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Anyone buy it yet? Went looking at PCs today at the Microsoft store and saw W8 for the first time today. It looks much more graphically fluid than Vista.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I plan on getting a new computer sometime in 2010 and it'll have Win 7. I certainly haven't heard any complaints like I did with Vista. This seems to be a very smooth transition.

I'm sticking with Linux. never had to bang the hell out of the computer since. and believe me, the old Presario can't take another hit (last one cracked the case)

Microsoft can't do math correctly, because if you add up all the version of Microsoft Windows since version 1.x, you will find there have been more than '7' versions.

FOX TV

Contributor
I'm sticking with Linux. never had to bang the hell out of the computer since. and believe me, the old Presario can't take another hit (last one cracked the case)

Microsoft can't do math correctly, because if you add up all the version of Microsoft Windows since version 1.x, you will find there have been more than '7' versions.
I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop from Wallys place a few weeks ago with windows 7 (My Xmas present to myself). I do computer network support at the station too, and I need keep up with whatever Micros__T (The s__T does not stand for soft either) is doing to keep current since Micros__T controls the business computing world.

So far, I see a few things I don't like about it, as well as some cool new features that I do like. My biggest gripe is how they LOVE to think for you. They have locked down Windows Explorer so you cannot view or save files wherever you want to. Documents and settings folders are locked down, and are not accessible in Windows Explorer. Even if you go in as ADMIN and give yourself full read/write access to the folders, you are still locked out of certain folders.

I don't need Micros__T telling me which folders I have access to. This is a so called security feature that I don't want or need. I know how to use a computer, and I don't need Micros__T telling me how to do something on a computer and operating system THAT I OWN.

Micros__T's ultimate goal is that you rent or lease an operating system from them, and that you never really own it. It is easy to see the G_-_- word creeping in here in regards to Micros__T. I do run Ubuntu linux at home on a dual boot machine with win Xp also.

I never liked MicroShaft's policy lately on 'buy windows, buy a new computer'

i never believed in 'product lifecycles' and i don't believe in computers who's useful life is rated. if a machine works it should work for as long as someone wants. not for as long as the OS lasts.

At least Linux has made my old Presario as fast as a new Windows 7 machine. no need to buy a new el-cheapo computer.

Vista and XP both angered me with the locking down, the User Account Control (hardly security since anyone can click 'Continue' it only nags the user) the way the Auto Updates cannot be turned off for good and choose to reboot without your permission (which i call spyware behavior)

Along with the Windows Genuine Disadvantage, which flagged many OEM OSs on computers sold by big box retailers (who used Volume License copies, which microshaft recently stopped allowing, a few yeas later) and also 'phones home' to Microsoft, again, spyware behavior. someone can justify the action all they want, further adding insult to the intelligence of the user who should be able to choose to apply updates/patches on their own, but it's still spyware behavior.

Also this always bugged me:

Why is it when Microsoft finally gets all the bugs out of their version of Windows, finally gets it stable, and users are finally adusted to using it, they then decide to issue a new one, force the upgrade (by making sure standards, software, and hardware drivers comply with the new Windows) and have a whole bunch more bugs to deal with after.'

You'd think a multi-billion dollar company would be able to plan ahead, fix the version before releasing it, or just leave it alone when it's finally working. What good is 'Beta Testing' if the final-version is just as buggy after?

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
My biggest gripe is how they LOVE to think for you. They have locked down Windows Explorer so you cannot view or save files wherever you want to. Documents and settings folders are locked down, and are not accessible in Windows Explorer. Even if you go in as ADMIN and give yourself full read/write access to the folders, you are still locked out of certain folders.
Do what? You mean if I open My Computer I can't just go to any drive folder I want?

That is insane if true...

That alone will keep me on XP and go ahead and figure out how to run some of my programs on Linux. I need to be able to go anywhere on the computer.

FOX TV

Contributor
win 7

Do what? You mean if I open My Computer I can't just go to any drive folder I want?

That is insane if true...

That alone will keep me on XP and go ahead and figure out how to run some of my programs on Linux. I need to be able to go anywhere on the computer.
They have some security routine that is supposed to protect you from Mal ware, and other internet threats. It of course has an acronym that I don't remember, and from what I have read, it is possible to disable it, but I have not had time to find the secret to disabling it.

Instead of Microsh_t (Place any characters you feel fits well) thinking for everyone, they need an experienced user mode that bypasses the interface that tries to think for you, and give me back control OF MY COMPUTER !!

Microsoft always believed in "protect the computer user from his/herself" since Windows NT.

That's always been the support of both MS and the MS-fanboys. when someone asks in a MS forum 'how do i turn UAC off?' their first reply is usually along the lines of 'why would you want to disable a security feature?' or some other horse hockey.

FOX TV

Contributor
Also this always bugged me:

Why is it when Microsoft finally gets all the bugs out of their version of Windows, finally gets it stable, and users are finally adusted to using it, they then decide to issue a new one, force the upgrade (by making sure standards, software, and hardware drivers comply with the new Windows) and have a whole bunch more bugs to deal with after.'

You'd think a multi-billion dollar company would be able to plan ahead, fix the version before releasing it, or just leave it alone when it's finally working. What good is 'Beta Testing' if the final-version is just as buggy after?
They are just using us as Beta Testers on a large scale, and we pay them for the privilege of testing their software for them. What a marketing scheme that is !!

They have some security routine that is supposed to protect you from Mal ware, and other internet threats. It of course has an acronym that I don't remember, and from what I have read, it is possible to disable it, but I have not had time to find the secret to disabling it.

Instead of Microsh_t (Place any characters you feel fits well) thinking for everyone, they need an experienced user mode that bypasses the interface that tries to think for you, and give me back control OF MY COMPUTER !!
If they built an OS that was worth a crap you wouldn't have to worry about malware and virus' running software you pay for using 1/2 your cpu to do so.
Linux, Mac OS X.

"Some people live and learn - others just live "

Apple and Microsoft are so tied in today's world of computing that i don't think buying a Mac would fix it, even if the OS X platform is using code illegally violating the terms of the GPL which belongs to linux/BSD and similar window managers.

Apple's OS X is a derivative of Linux/BSD code and by the terms of the GPL and the Open Source Software groups, the source code must be made freely available to the public, and of course Apple would sue you in a heartbeat over making a 'Hackintosh' with the code, which they stole.

OS X uses the Linux kernel, which is also to be made freely available per terms of the GPL. Apple also would get ya for using that too.