Windows Media Center has Digital Transition problems

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
You'd think Microsoft would have planned better for the Digital Transition with Windows Media Center but apparently they missed an important detail.

Clicking through the multiple explanation screens produced a series of clear-sounding messages about what to expect in Media Center, depending on the type of tuners you were using. According to this screen, for anyone using an ATSC tuner there was “no additional action needed.”
That advice was wrong. Microsoft apparently forgot to plan for one of the side effects of the transition, in which some broadcasters changed broadcast channel numbers along with the switch.
Microsoft fumbles the digital TV transition | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Microsoft has always put the cart ahead of the horse. They flood the market with their products before the security has been completed. Then they spend the life of that product sending out security patches. Linux is the only OS I use.
You'd think Microsoft would have planned better for the Digital Transition with Windows Media Center but apparently they missed an important detail.

Microsoft fumbles the digital TV transition | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com

Piggie

Super Moderator
Again this is a direct effect of what I warned to be the "Hidden Transition". Where channels changed RF frequencies and worse where they went from UHF channel they had been on for years to a VHF channel for digital.

In my humble opinion, this was a HUGE goof on Microsoft's part. But I watched this kind of thing may whole career.

It is the hardware people not communicating with the software people, mutual goof. The hard ware people forget what's in the software and the software people forget what's in the hardware.

They will have a patch for it on the first Tuesday of August.... (just being sarcastically silly) :mad:)

O-O

DTVUSA Member
I couldn't agree with you guys more. I've seen some posts on computer forums just thrashing Microsoft over this. Huge oversight.