Wiring Question

LoTech

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I know that you can use diplexers to combine OTA with Dish/Direct and split the signal inside the house. My question is whether you can do this with an amplified antenna system? If I place my antenna close to my dish, can I hook up my preamp into the system, or will this overload the dish lnbf?

SWHouston

Staff member
LoTech,

It depends....
IF your PreAmp has an individual Power Supply Cable (not a Coaxial Power Inserter) then you're ok to combine them as you've indicated. BUT, you must be able to split/separate the voltages of the Amp and LNBF(s).

Now, just to take this a step farther, in trying to operate both on just the Coax,
you could do this if the following criteria was met...
The Voltages Requirements of the LNB and PAmp were the same....unlikely.
The ability of your Receiver having sufficient (power/amps) to power both...unlikely.

Those who try to combine these two systems, frequently run into problems with
signal loss on their OTA. Diplexers really suck the signal down.
Had you thought to just run two separate Cables/Systems ?

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

LoTech

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for the info. At the current location I have gobs of signal. I may use two single pass diplexers and a distribution amp between the antenna and first diplexer since it is about 125 foot cable run.

SWHouston

Staff member
Last edited:

LoTech

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Actually this is how I wanted to wire it.
Untitled.jpg

I wanted to use a regular dist. amp at the antenna rather than a pre-amp. That way no extra voltage would go through the coax. I modified your pic to show the setup.

Edit... I accidentally took out the ground block.

Last edited: