WLS to Quit VHF Game

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
It has finally happened. Mookie mookie will be happy.

WLS has petitioned with the FCC to relocate from channel 7 at 4.75 kW up to channel 44 at 473.33 kW. Now this is a petition for rule making, so it will take at least a month to work its way through the FCC to approval, and then more time to build out, but it's a good sign. Keep the hope alive!

- Trip

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
It has finally happened. Mookie mookie will be happy.

WLS has petitioned with the FCC to relocate from channel 7 at 4.75 kW up to channel 44 at 473.33 kW. Now this is a petition for rule making, so it will take at least a month to work its way through the FCC to approval, and then more time to build out, but it's a good sign. Keep the hope alive!

- Trip
Very interesting! Broadcast and Cable posted just last Friday about how the FCC was "likely to send out" engineers to Chicago and New York to investigate reception issues. Less than one week later, WLS petitions to relocate. That was a fast investigation. ;)

wls and wciu

Very interesting! Broadcast and Cable posted just last Friday about how the FCC was "likely to send out" engineers to Chicago and New York to investigate reception issues. Less than one week later, WLS petitions to relocate. That was a fast investigation. ;)
jay this is great news... lets see how long it takes for everything to change and for the fcc to ok the change... please keep me informed

my next problem is wciu tv ( 26) ota it is still having issues and they do have a construction permit but i do not know when the construction will begin to fix this problem.. the station itself said they are " waiting there turn" so i would hope that this gets taken care of this summer as well

please keep me informed....

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The NBC station here in Boston has petitioned to go back to UHF42 permanently, after their abortive attempt to switch their digital signal to their old analog frequency VHF7.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Per OrlandoOTA in the Orlando thread at AVS, NBC is starting to take heat for not serving my area. Despite knowing the engineering crews at WNBW and WTLV and having respect for them and WESH though I don't know they anymore, I too filled a complaint that NBC no longer served the area in question (me and thousands others).

You can see his post as he claims to know someone on the inside as WESH. Just to add I called WESH and talked to engineering 6 months ago and they had abandoned the idea. So they have been hot and cold about a translator for the north end of their DMA more than once. But this might be different if the FCC is really looking at VHF, since their main transmitter is on Ch 11.

Orlando, FL - OTA - Page 77 - AVS Forum

Below it is the synopsis of the content of my complaint to the FCC.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Is something similar planned for WABC 7 New York?

I read somewhere that all the big ABC stations wanted high VHF after 6/12. Has something changed?

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
WABC is still waiting for approval to boost power from 11.7 kW up to 27 kW, but now that WNJB-8 has dropped their plans to move to 4 Times Square, I'm not sure that the FCC will approve of it anymore.

- Trip

Piggie

Super Moderator
Well WTLV boosted up to 53.3 KW. My antenna is at the recommended 30 ft with about 6 db more gain than the FCC contours are based. I can't watch it most of the time this week because of someone's impulse noise. If it's not one thing on VHF it's another. Bloody mess.

I realize and we have exhaustively talked about the FCC's maps vs REC. But the FCC uses their maps for their licenses. And I am inside 2 NBC high band contours and have about 1/4 to 1/3 of viewing time usable. This was not just the way it is on the fringe but bad planning by the networks. Granted if Jacksonville used UHF it would not be viewable. The puts the Onus on either WNBW to move channels or greatly boost power and kill the null or WESH the one that is supposed to cover my DMA to install a translator.

It's really starting to tick me off, because while I don't live in the population density of Central FL, there are a lot of viewers Marion County and area of surrounding counties that are without reliable NBC.

WNBW still hasn't even filed to remove the null.