Woop! No more rabbit ears for me! But weirdly....

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
Since I dumped cable I've been using rabbit ears. Luckily for me, where I live the signal is so strong (being only about 3.5 miles from the Empire State Building) that I can get everything with the dipole antenna fully collapsed. However, as I was walking home early this evening from the supermarket, I looked up and noticed two NEW OTA antenna's installed on the roof of my building, one for each side of the building :grin: . Don't know when my landlord did this or why, as the original antennas were long gone before I even moved in to this building ten years ago. At any rate, I disconnected the rabbit ears and ran some coax from the DTV Pal Plus to the outlet in the wall in the living room that is connected to the antenna on the roof, and what do you know, but it's working! The weird thing is though, I'm actually getting LOWER signal strength on some channels than with the collapsed rabbit ears, but no matter, because every channel comes in just as perfect with the roof top antenna as with the ears. I did notice that my landlord has the antenna pointed the wrong way, *away* from the ESB, so maybe that's why? No matter though. Like I said the signals are so strong here you could point it in ANY direction and get everything. Well, everthing except WLIW, that is. :mad:

Since I dumped cable I've been using rabbit ears. Luckily for me, where I live the signal is so strong (being only about 3.5 miles from the Empire State Building) that I can get everything with the dipole antenna fully collapsed. However, as I was walking home early this evening from the supermarket, I looked up and noticed two NEW OTA antenna's installed on the roof of my building, one for each side of the building :grin: . Don't know when my landlord did this or why, as the original antennas were long gone before I even moved in to this building ten years ago. At any rate, I disconnected the rabbit ears and ran some coax from the DTV Pal Plus to the outlet in the wall in the living room that is connected to the antenna on the roof, and what do you know, but it's working! The weird thing is though, I'm actually getting LOWER signal strength on some channels than with the collapsed rabbit ears, but no matter, because every channel comes in just as perfect with the roof top antenna as with the ears. I did notice that my landlord has the antenna pointed the wrong way, *away* from the ESB, so maybe that's why? No matter though. Like I said the signals are so strong here you could point it in ANY direction and get everything. Well, everthing except WLIW, that is. :mad:
see if you can get up there and re-aim it! :boxing:

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
see if you can get up there and re-aim it! :boxing:
I have easy access to the roof and have been up there many times. I just went up there tonight, but that thing isn't moving. Not without a ladder and the loosening of screws, and it would be a hassle not to mention possibly dangerous as it's located right next to the edge of the building. It all comes in though, and hopefully, if WLIW gets it's power and height increase approved, I'll be getting them (fingers tightly crossed), as the antenna is pointing in the right direction for that station.

P.S. The antennas are *not* new. I guess I never noticed them before or more accurately, forgot they were up there, as I have been up on the roof many times before. The one one my side of the building is missing two ribs. The on on the other side is missing two or three ribs also.

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
All are UHF except for ABC (7), PBS-WNET (13), and CW (11).
Was going to guess that they were mostly UHF. Here in CA I pick up UHF channels pretty well with the dipoles folded, but since most of our channels are VHF....well, I have to keep the dipoles spread apart about 3'-4'.