Working out!

I know that a TV forum is not the best place to ask for this but ...

How do you guys work out and keep in shape? Lately I've been trying what may very well be a fad diet in which I eat only what would have been available to a cavehuman counterparts. In general that means nothing processed or a result of agriculture. For my diet that means no grains or sugars :(

To work out I've been trying to do as much work in as little time as possible. For me that means doing a mini-circuit everyday of simple things: push-ups, squats, planks. This is really boring though and was wondering if you had any advice for caring about how we look. I recently came back from a vacation in Cancun and that meant looking at many hot Europeans while I was just carrying around my winter weight.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I know that a TV forum is not the best place to ask for this but ...

How do you guys work out and keep in shape? Lately I've been trying what may very well be a fad diet in which I eat only what would have been available to a cavehuman counterparts. In general that means nothing processed or a result of agriculture. For my diet that means no grains or sugars :(

To work out I've been trying to do as much work in as little time as possible. For me that means doing a mini-circuit everyday of simple things: push-ups, squats, planks. This is really boring though and was wondering if you had any advice for caring about how we look. I recently came back from a vacation in Cancun and that meant looking at many hot Europeans while I was just carrying around my winter weight.
A slightly modified Caveman/Paleo diet is basically what I have followed for the past 4 years, and what my trainer had me follow before I did my first physique show last November. I'm always at a lower bodyfact percentage, probably around 10-12....but, prep for that show, had me working out 5 times a week with cardio 4 times a week...but cutting carbs down to 0 the last 2 weeks took my bodyfat levels to 6-7%.

Low carb. Real food, nothing processed, and lots of protein. A Paleo/Caveman diet has been shown to reduce overall inflammation in the body and maintain glucose/glycogen levels for diabetics. Can't say enough good things about it.

My motto for getting into shape has always ranked in this order.

Diet first
Weight Training Second
Cardio Third

Cool! That's another surprising thing, once I started this diet, I was surprised by how many other people seem to be doing it too! I just like the fact the diet seems intuitive after I understand it. I'm glad it's a "diet" in that it's just a different way of eating instead of the way we know "diet" now, i.e. starving all day before eating a celery stalk.

And do tell, what is a physique show? That sounds pretty badass.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
People were so surprised when they saw me eat 7-8 times a day and hear that I'm "dieting"...that's the beauty of low carb/Paleo type diets...you can still eat a decent amount of food.

It was an NPC show, pretty cool experience but don't know if I'd ever do it again, lol. Think I placed 10th out of 15.

NPC News Online

A caveman diet is another over-reaction to proccessed foods, most are not as bad as you think, and can be more nutritional than natural counterparts. And the non-agriculture just doesn't make any sense, I actually wrote a piece for the Santa Cruz Sentinel where I compared organic foods to the non-organic version, and in almst every case the organic had MORE sugar, MORE fat, and MORE carbs.

I wrestled for 8 years at a competitive level and I never once followed a fad diet. Even when I had to make weight the most important thing is portion control. You should never have to change what you eat to acheive some physical desires. Eating good food has been a past-time of humans since the dawn of civilization. You should eat whatever you enjoy eating. Sure this may mean you need to do cardio later, but would you rather eat tasteless food the rest of your life?

The two most important things to weight loss are portion control and cardio. You can't really lose pounds with weight training, but I have lost 4 pounds in a day just by running and a wrestling cardio workout. For instance everyone I play water polo with consumes 3-4k calories a day, literally of whatever they want, and not a single one of us is above 10% body fat. Obviusly it's harder for some people but if you don't cheat or break your workout regiment any weight goal is possible

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
I would love to actually do a diet that works and at the same time, something that doesn't actually restrict when you eat, or how you eat. If that makes sense. But for right now. I normally just eat the cravings I have. Considering I am pregnant and I have time for dieting after the baby is here. Plus it will be summer when the baby is born so I am good. LOL

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
I envy you guys, the ability to start a diet, a new lifestyle, and stick to it! I've heard a lot about paleo and I try to limit my carbs but I just can't make that final step, I can't imagine my life without bread, preparing lunch etc. would be just to time consuming.

I envy you guys, the ability to start a diet, a new lifestyle, and stick to it! I've heard a lot about paleo and I try to limit my carbs but I just can't make that final step, I can't imagine my life without bread, preparing lunch etc. would be just to time consuming.
This is my problem with popular diets, dropping carbs is NOT the best way to get in shape or lose weight. I actually binge on carbs as they give you the most energy for sustained cardio and are easy to burn off.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
The two most important things to weight loss are portion control and cardio. You can't really lose pounds with weight training
While it's true that cardio works for some, ...can't say that I agree at all that weight training doesn't help you lose weight. For weight reduction, the formula has always been less input x more output = weight loss. Whether it be done through cardio or weights. Weight training can actually burn just as many calories, if not more in a set amount of time.

I've worked out with quite a few competitors over the years (mostly amateur), and some of them manage to diet down just by adjusting macro's in diet and lifting...never doing bit of cardio. Not the case for everyone, but some folks respond better to different things including diets.

I don't have much of a professional opinion to offer on the paleo diet because I've only recently started it, but I'll give my two cents:

To me, it wasn't so much about losing weight or building muscle or whatever. It was more about just eating healthier and trying to keep myself from eating out all the time. By telling myself to not eat grains or processed stuff, it was a pretty easy rule to keep. I also "break" my diet on the weekends or if there's something particularly tasty (I am only human), but after a week or two, it was much easier saying no to things I know aren't the healthiest.

And Jason, a physique show sounds so cool! I like that you have to wear specifically board shorts hahah

While it's true that cardio works for some, ...can't say that I agree at all that weight training doesn't help you lose weight. For weight reduction, the formula has always been less input x more output = weight loss. Whether it be done through cardio or weights. Weight training can actually burn just as many calories, if not more in a set amount of time.

I've worked out with quite a few competitors over the years (mostly amateur), and some of them manage to diet down just by adjusting macro's in diet and lifting...never doing bit of cardio. Not the case for everyone, but some folks respond better to different things including diets.
I couldn't agree more. The only way to truly lose weight and keep it off is to find what works for you. It's just an issue when people think, oh just cut carbs, or oh just cut red meat, etc

The only reason I say weights aren't as effective is that people rarely use weights for cardio workouts, but max-out workouts and that only builds muscle it won't tone your body. For physique building and power-lifting you don't need cardio, but if you want to tone-up (not bulk-up) or lose weight cardio is the most effecient way to do so. Weights take much longer, and require a more constant routine to maintain that look. I'm assuming that by 'less input x more ouput' you mean less weight and more reps, and isn't that cardio?

Most physique shows don't wear board shorts but a even smaller speedo, they should be called panties... (I play water polo and used to wrestle so I'm no stranger to skimpy outfits!)

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have much of a professional opinion to offer on the paleo diet because I've only recently started it, but I'll give my two cents:

To me, it wasn't so much about losing weight or building muscle or whatever. It was more about just eating healthier and trying to keep myself from eating out all the time. By telling myself to not eat grains or processed stuff, it was a pretty easy rule to keep. I also "break" my diet on the weekends or if there's something particularly tasty (I am only human), but after a week or two, it was much easier saying no to things I know aren't the healthiest.

And Jason, a physique show sounds so cool! I like that you have to wear specifically board shorts hahah
Oh haha, NO WAY I would have done it wearing Speedos or whatever the bodybuilders wear.

Cheat meal or meals on the weekend is usually how I do it too. I enjoy pancakes, spagetti, and pizza, way too much to give up forever.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't agree more. The only way to truly lose weight and keep it off is to find what works for you. It's just an issue when people think, oh just cut carbs, or oh just cut red meat, etc

The only reason I say weights aren't as effective is that people rarely use weights for cardio workouts, but max-out workouts and that only builds muscle it won't tone your body. For physique building and power-lifting you don't need cardio, but if you want to tone-up (not bulk-up) or lose weight cardio is the most effecient way to do so. Weights take much longer, and require a more constant routine to maintain that look. I'm assuming that by 'less input x more ouput' you mean less weight and more reps, and isn't that cardio?

Most physique shows don't wear board shorts but a even smaller speedo, they should be called panties... (I play water polo and used to wrestle so I'm no stranger to skimpy outfits!)
I frequent a few diet/exercise forums (I'm sure you do too), and can't tell you how many times I see arguments go back and forth on cardio haha. Yeah, there are so many factors that come into play with diet/exercise. When I meant less input, I meant calories vs output = calories burned.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
In the summer, yardwork and the kids keep me active - but it's hard to get any exercise in the winter, and I'm unable to pay for a gym membership. Going to the gym also reminds me of a medieval torture chamber full of ghastly torture devices! So I have an exercise bike for the winter and watch TV while I bike and watch the kids at the same time.

As for the "Cardio vs weights" arguement - any exercise is better than none, and I have a very sedentary job.

And there's lots of health, exercise and fitness on the Roku, most of them free:
catastrophegirl's roku channel list: exercise
catastrophegirl's roku channel list: fitness
catastrophegirl's roku channel list: health

Last edited:
Wasn't it pro golfer John Daly who switched from a case a day (of beer before going out...ie 1 per hole and 6 to warm up) who kicked to a fifth a day and lost 50lbs? :)

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
I actually think that if you are active in some way for about 30 minutes or so a day. you could actually be ok. Also watching how much junk food you eat as well. I am normally walking at least 2-3 hours a day, Monday-Friday. Considering I have no car, so I walk every where. Maybe only once or twice a month do I ever take a cab that is in our town.

I frequent a few diet/exercise forums (I'm sure you do too), and can't tell you how many times I see arguments go back and forth on cardio haha. Yeah, there are so many factors that come into play with diet/exercise. When I meant less input, I meant calories vs output = calories burned.
Yes, and I again cannot agree more. That is why I think it's important to try everything yourself and see what works, and also what diet/exercise routine you can actually keep. That would be my number one advice, no matter your approach to working out or weight loss you have to stick to it if you want results.

Gotcha, I only mentioned the binging of calories because I do it anytime I have a long pratice day or right before a match (as I'm swimming about 1.5 miles in a day and running 3 miles in those situations