World ends May 21, 2011

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Its a far bigger :horse: 'movement' than one AM radio shock jock and a rich benefactor. There is an entire "Christian" Ministry devoted to it, sans cool-ade.

Family Radio Ministries has been promoting this for some time and years ago, when they offered a similar prediction they were wrong. ("Camping has predicted the end of world once before - on Sept. 6, 1994. When the sun rose on Sept. 7, Camping admitted he might have had that one wrong.") ...Might have been wrong?

Their Church 'doctrine', progressive religion promotion and bizarre predictions are not appreciated by mainstream Christians or Christian organizations, unfortunately, they seem to have a large following and plenty of money.

If you have a short-wave radio you can't miss hearing them: Family Radio is one of few remaining stations still transmitting in English and they are all over the HF spectrum using leased time on incredibly powerful Voice of America transmitters. Below are their Short-wave radio and Satellite schedules.

Jim

JUDGMENT DAY <--about the coming judgement day, according to Family Radio (dot org)

Family Radio International Ministry <--shortwave radio schedule

Satellite Information <--satellite schedule

Last edited:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Oh I've heard this one before. Personally, I have much more positive ways of spending my days then wondering when the end of the world will be. I know the world is fascinated by it, but when it comes, it comes.

n2rj

Staff member
Harold Camping claims to have done some mathematical calculations using the bible to figure out that the rapture will happen on May 21.

On May 22 I hope he reveals his formula so people can show him where he's wrong.

I am a Christian but I am not one of those "the world is going to end tomorrow" types. But when it does, it does. I'm ready either way.

Camping also runs a local TV station here, WFME. This "church" appears to be nothing more than a sophisticated cult designed to fool people and extract their money.

What is scary about these people is that some fanatic may actually try to make it happen. With today's concerns of terrorism I hope the FBI is keeping a close watch on Camping and his followers.

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
What is scary about these people is that some fanatic may actually try to make it happen. With today's concerns of terrorism I hope the FBI is keeping a close watch on Camping and his followers.
Well, since Camping is perdicting the rapture, in some sort of dispensational understanding, I don't see how any of his followers would try to "make it happen." In dispensational theology the rapture is the beginning of the end, not the end. Then you have 3 1/2 or 7 years of tribulation, a thousand year reign of Christ from Jerusalem, a final rebelion, and then the end. If you are still here on the 22nd, you were "left behind" to face God's wrath. So, if you're "left behind" that means you weren't saved. You can't cause a rapture. You may be able to try to start a war. If they believed the 21st was the real end then they might be tempted to start a war, but they don't, so I see no real danger of anyone doing anything rash, other than possible violence against Camping himself on the 22nd. ;)

n2rj

Staff member
They would have to explain why they, and every other Christian group have been "left behind" after the rapture.
He already explained that one.

Basically he claims that no one has been "saved" since 1988 and that we are now in the post-church era. He claims that all churches are dead and that the Holy Spirit has left the church.

Hence, if every other Christian group has been left behind after the rapture, he has an out.

If they are "left behind" he has an easy explanation - he has to go back and re-do the math.

This isn't the first time for Camping. The world was supposed to end in 1994.

Orrymain

I will leave it all to God and His choice in the matter. I just don't want to spend whatever time I have on this earth worrying about when it will end.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Here's a Craigslist ad running now:

Getting raptured on Saturday?

"Are you getting raptured this coming Saturday? Need someone to take care of your expensive property and/or money? I'll still be here on Sunday, and I'll give it a good home. Stereos, TVs, video game systems, furniture, cars, boats, etc., accepted. Money is accepted via cash and/or Paypal".

Fringe Reception

Staff member
I got lucky and spoke to Michael Medved on his National Talk Show today. He was interviewing a man from Family Radio/TV/Church who "IS" going to be raptured tomorrow. I had roughly 8 million listeners.

I asked the man, Gunther, if Family Radio had canceled its contracts with its dozens of radio and television stations, since no believers will remain here to listen to them after tomorrow ----- and if they haven't canceled their contracts, may I assume all future shows will be run by non-believers after tomorrow's rapture?

A pregnant pause, then Gunther sidestepped the answer and said he wasn't involved with the financial obligations of Family Radio Ministries: Medved must have appreciated the questions I asked because he gave me a terrific lead-in by asking the man if he had sold all his property as others in the church have, and he did not interrupt me during my questions (which is typical for Medved). :thumb:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Family Radio website has been raptured!

Below is the current HTML for the Family Radio website. The 'body' of the website has been raptured!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<html>
<head>
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://www.familyradio.com/index2.html">

</head>

<body>

... (*This is where the entire website's content should be)

</body></html>

Last edited:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
6:00pm has came and gone in New Zealand and Australia with nary a sign of the rapture.

A lot of folks are gonna feel pretty naive when all is said and done today.

n2rj

Staff member
Nah they'll be just like they were in 1994 and soldier on.

WFME-TV is still up and running, as well as the radio stations.

Proof positive that when all else fails, broadcast TV and radio is there!

n2rj

Staff member
Below is the current HTML for the Family Radio website. The 'body' of the website has been raptured!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<html>
<head>
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://www.familyradio.com/index2.html">

</head>

<body>

... (*This is where the entire website's content should be)

</body></html>
Jim, that is a redirect page. That has been there for a long time. It's not supposed to have any content. The actual content is on index2.html.

n2rj

Staff member
World is still here. I even went to church this morning where my fellow parishoners were.

But WFME family radio TV is showing scrolling bible verses of the gospels all day.

Orrymain

We had a story about a man who wanted to euthanize his pets Friday night to save them from the pain. Luckily, animal control found out about it and removed all of the pets from the home. What scares me is the possibility that others out there actually did something like that and got away with it.