World War 2 Movies

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Cali,

Is your question limited to movies about the Normandy landing or are you including other WW2 related movies?

Jim

PS Das Boot comes to mind ...

Casablanca
Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror
Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon
From Here to Eternity
Stalag 17
The Caine Mutiny
Bad Day at Black Rock
Mister Roberts
To Hell and Back
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
South Pacific
The Diary of Anne Frank
Judgment at Nuremberg
The Longest Day
The Great Escape
Father Goose
Battle of the Bulge
The Sound of Music
Von Ryan's Express
The Dirty Dozen
Catch-22
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Patton
A Bridge Too Far
MacArthur
Holocaust (TV miniseries)
The Big Red One
Sophie's Choice
Empire of the Sun
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Schindler's List
The Pianist
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line

I was surprised "Raiders of the Lost Ark" wasn't in the Wikipedia list.
I guess "Schindler's List" would rank #1 for me. Number 2 would be a tie between half a dozen titles.
Sorry, I haven't seen "Band of Brothers."

Rick

@Fringe,
Sorry for not being clear! And for taking a little bit to get back to this post!!! My 4 year old sucked me into reading to him and crashing before I was done posting last night!!!
Anyway, I love Das Boat! That is one of the most awesome World War 2 movies out there!!!! Is anyone on here going to watch Monument Men when it comes out?
@Rick - Thanks for the list!!!!

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
The Longest Day is my favorite. It just seems to have it all and with a magnificent cast. It's classic. I also adore the homefront Since You Went Away which I think is wonderful. I'd definitely include The Great Escape and Schlinder's List as well. I like Tora! Tora! Tora! too.

For those into the newer World War 2 movies, here is the Monuments Men official trailer:
[video=youtube;CreneTs7sGs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CreneTs7sGs[/video]

Its definitely on my list to check out in the local theater!

Fringe Reception

Staff member
@Fringe,
... I love Das Boat! That is one of the most awesome World War 2 movies out there!!!! ...
Cali,

Since you love that submarine movie, here are a few more to check out.

Jim

Submarine in the Movies and TV: On SubmarineSailor.Com

An (incomplete) alphabetical list of movies featuring submarines and most are 'based' on WW2. The descriptions contain a great deal of unknown background information such as the actual submarine's names.

Oh yes, Das Boat has to be in the top 5 of WW2 movies of anyone who has either served in the Navy or has family who has done so! The U-Boat and Allied submarine life during the war was just hard...didn't matter what side of the conflict one served on. Thanks for the share on submarine movies too! I have not come across that site before in my WW2 travels!!!
When I have a minute, I'll see if I can find a list of World War 2 stuff / movies available on Netflix.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Cali,

Most people don't know the "Silent Service" (US Submarines) accounted for 51% of all Japanese Merchant shipping and Warships that were sunk during WW2. Not our Air Corps and not our surface Navy.

Also, the first Japanese aircraft shot down during the Pearl Harbor attack was credited to a US Submarine moored at Ford Island.

Jim

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I guess my favorite submarine movie has to Operation Petticoat, which I do adore. I just think of it more as a comedy so don't even associate it with a WW2 film. They tried to turn it into a TV show back in the late 70s/early 80s I believe it was, but it didn't work out very well. Then there is Hunt for the Red October which I think is just wonderful even though I don't really like the actors, but I love the drama.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
I guess my favorite submarine movie has to Operation Petticoat, which I do adore. I just think of it more as a comedy so don't even associate it with a WW2 film. They tried to turn it into a TV show back in the late 70s/early 80s I believe it was, but it didn't work out very well. Then there is Hunt for the Red October which I think is just wonderful even though I don't really like the actors, but I love the drama.
Orry,

Operation Petticoat was meant to be a serious joke and I enjoy the movie for the 'fun' but it is not representative of one single sortee any Fleet Submarine made in WW2. Aside from the phony pink paint, the movie's humor was assembled from genuine (true) Submarine reports as found in the US Naval Academy book United States Submarine Operations In World War 2 which is three inches thick: I own a copy.

As an example, the scene regarding requisitioning toilet paper and the back and forth paperwork was TRUE for one of the Fleet Boats. Another Boat's log reported canibalizing US Army provisions and more for parts that could be converted to make their particular submarine functional. Captains often logged what 'appeared' from their scavangers - to cover their own butts. The Naval Acadamy book is a very long read but it is an honest report.

Jim

PS I found an original copy on evilBay here: WW II United States Naval Institue Book Submarine Operations Theodore Roscoe | eBay

Lily13

DTVUSA Member
I have to admit I haven't watched many... :( I've been meaning to see at least a few not to seem ignorant, but I somehow can't begin. I've seen Pearl Harbor though and it was a good movie! Good for girls, too, because some are happy to just focus on the romantic parts :D

Jim, thanks for the share on the book! Its now on my "honey want" list for Momma on the next b-day!!!! I didn't realize that they took the stores from Operation Petticoat from the book. That is pretty cool, but now makes total sense! Of course, I'm not surprised that our sailors during WW2 took those measures to keep the boats afloat and working!

For those into the newer World War 2 movies, here is the Monuments Men official trailer:
[video=youtube;CreneTs7sGs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CreneTs7sGs[/video]

Its definitely on my list to check out in the local theater!

It was okay but not quite as wonderful as I was expecting given the quality of actors involved. The acting and characters were incredible but the movies pacing and plot was too gradual and non-rewarding. It was certainly worth checking out simply for the chemistry between characters, but it didn't really come close to the ensemble cast of any of the Ocean's movies, or even most of Wes Anderson's work...

@Fan Boy,
That's disappointing to hear. We haven't made it out to see Monuments Men yet...do you think we should just wait until the movie comes out on Redbox, Netflix, etc or pay the money to go see it in the cheaper showings mid-day?