Would be cool if we had the "Red Button" here

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
Would be cool if we had something like the "Red Button" in the U.S. as part of the ATSC standard.

I wonder how much bandwidth it takes up though. I'm going to guess a lot.

Red Button (digital television) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Red Button (digital television)
...The feature also enables several different feeds from an event, thereby enabling viewers to select between events or sporting matches that may be taking place simultaneously. For example, when the 2006 FIFA World Cup was aired, viewers could choose to view matches from multiple camera angles.
BBC Red Button - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...BBC Red Button is broadcast on all digital television platforms in the UK, including digital cable (DVB-C), IPTV (Tiscali TV - channel 503, no red button or teletext), digital satellite (DVB-S) (Sky Digital & Freesat) and digital terrestrial television (DVB-T) (Freeview). On Freeview Channel 301 and 302, interactivity does not permit users to submit data (such as answering questions in a quiz or requesting video on demand), as the platform does not provide a return path.
More photos (multi-screen view) uploaded as attachments. See bottom of post.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
This sounds a lot like using multiple subchannels showing different feeds, just dressed up in a more fancy way. Unless I've missed something.

- Trip

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
This sounds a lot like using multiple subchannels showing different feeds, just dressed up in a more fancy way. Unless I've missed something.

- Trip
I guess you're going to have to travel overseas and try it yourself ;) . Or get in touch with a UK broadcaster and ask.

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
Red Button Advert. Not a demo of multi-screen or multi-angle viewing.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoQRG4KlQIE[/YOUTUBE]

Here is a video showing mult-screen news:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE-nnTkMZTA[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: