Would Simon's comments hurt YOU if you were a contestant?

People have been saying for years about how Simon is a giant jerk or A-hole or whatever, and how some of his comments are way too harsh.

My question to you is if you were an American Idol contestant, would Simon's comments and opinions bother you, or do you think you could tough it out?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Nah they wouldn't hurt me but that's probably because I've never dedicated more than 15 minutes or so a day to singing (I doubt singing in the shower should qualify me as a singer). For some people who have dedicated a few years all to be trashed by Simon after a 15 - 20 second tune, I could see how they'd be upset. The thing I don't understand is how come some of the contestants who are really, really bad, don't know it. It's like a complete shock for them to find out that they have absolutely no talent. My theory is, that they were raised by parents who told them how great they were while they were growing up, raising their expectations....and well you get the point.

Simon's comments may or may not hurt me, depending on how confident in my talents I was.

When somebody is proud of themselves and think they are talented, Simon's comments could really drag them down a lot, unless they don't care about the opinions of a few people.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I could say now that no, his comments wouldn't hurt me because I am so used to seeing how sarcastic he can be after watching the show for so long, but it may be completely different once you get in front of the judges and his comments are directed solely at you and in person.I guess it would also depend on how bad his comments are.

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
Hmm, I believe Simon´s comments are a lesson for these singers to learn. If they would be talented and get a contract as a singer they will face people like him. So they should know how to handle these people and react the right way.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Hmm, I believe Simon´s comments are a lesson for these singers to learn. If they would be talented and get a contract as a singer they will face people like him. So they should know how to handle these people and react the right way.
True, and that is what I have heard Simon tell them over and over again. That's why he supposedly dislikes children being in the business as well as they are just too fragile.

yazmeen

DTVUSA Jr. Member
If I would be in the position of the contestants, I should keep in mind that I am in a competition and whatever Simon would say, i would take it as a challenge and an opportunity to learn. Coz' even if we are talented, we should also consider the rules of the game/industry.