WWOR-HD My9 Problems

cutter83

DTVUSA Rookie
I have Cablevision. So I lost channels WNYW & WWOR. Fortunately, I still had my old antenna up on the roof. 40 year old Channel master. I hooked it up to my VIZIO HDTV & did a channel scan. All channels came in perfectly except WWOR. It pixilates & freezes. I'm only 15 miles west of Manhattan. It should be perfect. Is this station underpowered by Newscorp? Here is my information from tvfool.com.

TV Fool

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Is the antenna cable 40 years old too? And, just to cover all the bases, is the antenna designed for both UHF and VHF? Your in a strong enough signal area that you may be receiving strong UHF on a VHF antenna? (I know because I've done it.) WWOR is broadcast on channel 38 UHF.

cutter83

DTVUSA Rookie
Is the antenna cable 40 years old too? And, just to cover all the bases, is the antenna designed for both UHF and VHF? Your in a strong enough signal area that you may be receiving strong UHF on a VHF antenna? (I know because I've done it.) WWOR is broadcast on channel 38 UHF.
The antenna cable is 40 year old 300 ohm twin lead & the antenna is
both UHF & VHF.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Yeah, the cable might be the problem. Do you have a clear, or semi-unobstructed view, of the towers from somewhere other than the roof? You may want to use a $10 Wal-Mart antenna as a stop gap, and then replace the cable with good quality black quad-shield RG6 cable.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: cutter,

dkreichen is spot-on about replacing your twin lead with quality RG-6 coax. Twin lead isn't shielded so it also works as an antenna so it may be capturing multipath which can confuse your tuner.

You will also need good quality baluns and I recommend Channel Master baluns available from http://www.solidsignal.com/?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=3735566&utm_campaign=CJ. I no longer recommend Radio Shack baluns after having one mechanically fail this past summer: it was housed in soft 'rubber' and the female socket was not fixed and thus it was free to rotate which (internally) destroyed the balun (it was not visable damage from the outside). Good luck and welcome (back) to FREE OTA!

Jim

Last edited:

cutter83

DTVUSA Rookie
WWOR is also carried on a subchannel on WNYW. Try channel 9-2, it's SD, but if 5-1 is working, 9-2 should also be fine.
Channel 9-2 is fine, but 5-2 also freezes.

Here's another thought. Is your antenna pointed toward the Empire State Building, or toward where the WTC was? The fix may be as simple as pointing it toward the Empire State Building.
This antenna has been on the roof before the WTC was built. So it's definetly pointing southeast toward the Empire State Building.

Thank you everybody for the help.

Last edited:

Yes616

The Mod Squad
The problem is probably WNYN-LD 39. It's another strong signal in almost the same direction and just one real channel number away. A very slight change in the antenna direction just might help.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
This person lives in the exact same town as my grandmother does, and I go there twice yearly. If WNYN-LD is the problem, I will eat my shoe. It takes my antenna carefully positioned on the top floor with my amp in the line to barely get enough signal for a lock. Barely. Most of the time, it's buried in the noise floor.

- Trip

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
I have three Network 'full power' transmitters under less than a mile from me and I have not personally had any problem with adjacent channel interferrence, yet I live in a proverbial RF soup. 38 and 39 first come to mind, then there's 35 (but that is 75 miles away ... with no interacton).

Jim

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I was the problem. It was a bad connection with the leads on the matching transformer adapter. I'm not the best at stripping leads on twin lead. WWOR-HD 9-1 looks good now.
Great! Really, I don't know anyone who can do a good job stripping 300 ohm twin lead! I would replace that old cable still... a good breeze may cause you headaches.

Enjoy your free TV... and spread the word. TV should be free!

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Actually, that the old antenna still works doesn't surprise me. Quality made American design, materials and construction. Its the old 300 ohm still working that surprises me!

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Actually, that the old antenna still works doesn't surprise me. Quality made American design, materials and construction. Its the old 300 ohm still working that surprises me!
Agreed on the 300 ohm, but I have to say that the plastic parts on my parents old "flying V" VHF antenna looked very scarry after 40 years.:clownn: