Yippee - it's Win7

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Announcing my emergence into the modern computer age. At long last, Win98 is but a memory on my old tower. I type this from my new computer with Win7.

Uh - it's nice, but there are a lot of headaches associated with it. Things are different, and I can't get adobe flash to download, and I have no clue why.

But I finally got my old email into my new email and you have no idea how long that took. So much more to do!

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
Announcing my emergence into the modern computer age. At long last, Win98 is but a memory on my old tower. I type this from my new computer with Win7.

Uh - it's nice, but there are a lot of headaches associated with it. Things are different, and I can't get adobe flash to download, and I have no clue why.

But I finally got my old email into my new email and you have no idea how long that took. So much more to do!
Which version of Windows 7 are you using? 32 bit or 64? If you are using 64 are you using IE and if so which verison 32 bit or 64? If you are using 64 bit you can't download adobe flash since it does not support 64 bit browsers.

Orrymain

LOL I have no clue. I'm gonna say 64 because all these new things are d/l'ing into the program files with 64 in the line. However I did finally get Adobe downloaded and working. It took a few tries but then it took it.

Do you know how to get files to open by double clicking on them? I am always having to right click and then go to 'open'. We used to be able to just double click. There has to be an easier way to open files.

big mistake. Windows 98 SE is THE BEST! i sacrificed a Compaq Pentium III's install of XP for 98 SE. still my favorite and still simple, fast and reliable.

Windows 7 is ME ver 2.0. tons of stuff missing that should not be missing, such as autoplay of DVDs and autorun of software discs and many other incompatibilities, such as the abomination known as IE 8 refusing to login to Yahoo! Mail without tons of 'extras' disabled in advanced settings. at least, that is what the deal was with my grandmom's christmas present, a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7

Also, including 7, there have been ELEVEN versions of windows. not seven. :p

It got to the point i wasn't happy with Linux in the long term. buggy flash video and very choppy performance on flash-based sites such as Youtube (no way to play full screen and it drags at half size)

Also, i replaced my Linux tower (it's in the shop now) with a Compaq Deskpro SFF PC, with a Pentium III and 256MB RAM. tried Linux on it, too, and it ate up 120MB in idle mode with just Firefox open. i have always DESPISED Firefox. i decided to scrounge up my long lost bootable Windows 98 CD, and disposed of the Linux (originally it had Windows XP. yuck!) and wow. 256MB RAM is a HUGE amount in Windows 98 SE. nothing in this world will make me give it up.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
big mistake. Windows 98 SE is THE BEST! i sacrificed a Compaq Pentium III's install of XP for 98 SE. still my favorite and still simple, fast and reliable.

Windows 7 is ME ver 2.0. tons of stuff missing that should not be missing, such as autoplay of DVDs and autorun of software discs and many other incompatibilities, such as the abomination known as IE 8 refusing to login to Yahoo! Mail without tons of 'extras' disabled in advanced settings. at least, that is what the deal was with my grandmom's christmas present, a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7

Also, including 7, there have been ELEVEN versions of windows. not seven. :p
Win 98 SE is far from the best, but you are absolutely entitled to your opinion. I'm still on Win XP professional and refuse to upgrade until I see some better performance numbers out of machines with Win 7.

My windows 98 system has never been more flawless. XP and above are memory and resource hogs and full of automatic this and that. and don't forget Windows Genuine Disadvantage, the Legal-Malware from Microsoft.

See how basic and non-resource intensive Windows 98 is? i even found drivers for my brand new WiFi adapter and Kodak EasyShare digital camera

Orrymain

I love Win98, but it's not viable anymore. New browsers are phasing out working with it. The majority of websites I visited weren't recognizing it. New versions of things like adobe wouldn't work with it. Virus programs are phasing out, too. So --- if you surf, Win98 is no longer workable. I loved it and held onto it for a decade, but it's time to move up to Win7.

Oh, and yes, I've read all the different versions of Windows and why some are numbered and others not. It's interesting reading.

Auto play and auto run work for me.

if you needed more compatibility, i would have recommended Windows 2000 Pro. at least it tries to be Win98 but with the compatibility layer of XP

youtube, hulu, and every flash-ridden site i visit still works with Flash Player 9, despite the nag of upgrading to 10. just hit reload and it plays each time thereafter. that's how the facebook games worked for me too.

I surf more on IE6 than anything, still love the layout of that browser. the toolbar is so much better organized than IE 7 or 8. they got it where i cannot even find 'history' in IE 8 anymore. and all that felgercarb with the 'information bar' that plagues any newer version of Windows--no thanks.

If you noticed the screenshot, i have Firefox there too, but only for compatibility on sites that won't work with IE6 (so far only facebook's uploader has issues and that's my only use for Firefox) other than that, i despise Firefox.

Windows 98 boots in less than a minute on a P-III system. 256MB RAM is suddenly more than massive, and i no longer have to stretch it by trimming services as windows 98 has no services. only explorer.exe and systray.exe.

and, the best benefit, all my old DOS games function--Windows 98 SE is the last OS to support full-console DOS. later versions only allowed the rather buggy cmd.exe which doesn't run all DOS proggies so well.

Maybe also it's my retro nature--that when i am finally happy with something why upgrade to something unfamiliar? Windows 98 SE is a stint in my computer forever. no other OS can match it. as i do not need nor require the 'latest version' all the programs in Windows XP and above have some older copy available for Windows 98 SE which offer the same thing but with less graphics. to me that ain't so bad.

Last edited:

Orrymain

Well, like I said, it was time to upgrade. I was on a dinosaur computer that had been seriously messed up for about 3 years anyway (long story but an idiot repair geek did a horrid repair job). I didn't want to worry about having to upgrade again for a long time. XP is going the way of 98 in a hurry. 2000 will be next. I'm set now for a long time, and I haven't had issues, so I'm a happy camper.

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
I hate to generalize, but whenever you change your OS, you're going to have some trouble. But I think that's true when you switch/upgrade your PC, you just don't appreciate how much information is on it or the fact that you know where everything is.

I hate to generalize, but whenever you change your OS, you're going to have some trouble. But I think that's true when you switch/upgrade your PC, you just don't appreciate how much information is on it or the fact that you know where everything is.
I like to think of it as living on the edge, you can never be to sure what an upgrade can do but seeing as I have been online since the first AOL how bad can it be? Keep a back up hold your breath and click on install. worst case Usually your only totally screwed for a day or so. What never fails to grind me is it seems like these machines need to install datelines exactly at the moments I just need to click on and get something quick, it is downright uncanny I tell ya

Orrymain

Backups are the key. I've gone through a complete loss of hard drive with information I could not retrieve. I was devastated. It took me months and months to get over it. Actually, I 'm not sure I am and it's been 3 years. Seriously, there was irreplaceable stuff on that hard drive, which now sits on a file cabinet. Thus, I've been to depths of cyber hell. I'm not saying problems don't affect me now, but I'm a whole calmer and more accepting of it now.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
I was having trouble with my Dell desktop XP system running s--l--o--w like you would'nt believe. I could hit the power button to start the boot up, go downtown to the diner to have some breakfast and it would almost be all the way booted up when I got back around 30 minutes later. Mcafee virus protection even stopped working. It was getting very bad.

I just bought a new Acer Aspire laptop with 4GB Memory and 500GB HDD with Windows 7. It was on sale this week at Staples. That thing is like lightning! Wow! My kid (age 17) uses that for the most part now but with a condition that she does not add any programs without my OK first.

There is a guy downtown here who is great with computers. The Computer Doctor in Liberty, NY. The biggest problem with the old XP system is it had just 250MB of memory. He bumped it up to 1GB. Now it works good. 30+ minutes to boot up just went to less than 1 minute. All of my old files are still here as well. I was able to back that up just in case before I brought the machine down there but all was well anyway.

I always see that when you run that disk clean-up often, your machine will work better. And this comes to you from someone who know's next to nothing about maintaining a computer.

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
There is a guy downtown here who is great with computers. The Computer Doctor in Liberty, NY. The biggest problem with the old XP system is it had just 250MB of memory. He bumped it up to 1GB. Now it works good. 30+ minutes to boot up just went to less than 1 minute. All of my old files are still here as well. I was able to back that up just in case before I brought the machine down there but all was well anyway.

I always see that when you run that disk clean-up often, your machine will work better. And this comes to you from someone who know's next to nothing about maintaining a computer.
yeah 256 MB is barely enough just to get the machine up and running let alone have any programs running on it. Running a computer on anything less than 1 GB is asking for issues. It wouldn't hurt to educate yourself a bit on maintaining computer so you don't have to pay someone for basic stuff. Along with more memory your new computer has a better CPU and the type of memory it uses is faster too.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Now that I have my old pc working okay, I am now thinking about upgrading to Windows 7. Mainly so the old and the new computers can share the same printer on the home network. It seems I would need to do this to make it possible. It also seems I would need an additional something (sorry, I forget what it was) to run some transparent windows.

Should I try this or just stay with my old method? The old pc is hooked to the printer so if work is generated on the new pc it gets e-mailed and then retrieved on the old for printing.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
If it ain't broken...

I am a "late Adopter" by nature. I will let everyone else have the problems before I get something new, be it a car, O/S, TV. Used cars are a rule for me... I don't need to take a hit in value for driving off the lot. If I bought an HD-DVD I would be stuck with a useless piece of hardware now! It would look nice right next to my BetaMax... I held on to Win '98 for years and still have it on laptops (p-90, 166, and 750) It is simple, elegant, and doesn't demand a lot from the machine. Unfortunatly, it's no longer supported, has limits on memory, file and hard drive sizes, and has issues with common USB devices (needs drivers for thumb drives, etc). XP is now mature and stable, thats what I'm using in all my other machines, except a laptop that came w/ Vista - and I despise Vista!

Win 7 looks promising. I'll use 7 when XP is no longer an option - and the price drops to a reasonable level. Microsoft has enough of my money.

Last edited:

Orrymain

The more I've used Win7, the more I love it. There are so many little things that I adore about it that are plusses over my beloved Win98.