Younger Generation More Likely To Cut The Cord

dkreichen1968

Staff member
From The Article:
While a minority of customers overall have canceled their cable television service, rates of cord-cutting vary significantly by generation. Six percent of Generation Y customers (ages 17-34) say they no longer subscribe to a residential television service, compared with only 2 percent of Baby Boomers (ages 47-65). One percent of customers ages 66 to 86 report cancelling cable service, while 4 percent of Generation X customers (ages 35-46) say the same.
Read More: J.D. Power and Associates Reports: Television Service 'Cord-Cutting' Has Only a... -- WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif., June 29, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I think one thing missing in this equation is the fact that many older viewers never had a cable to cut!

dkreichen1968

Staff member
That may be somewhat true for the 66-86ers, they never had cords for the same reason that many baby boomers will be the last generation to cut the cord. (That's what we've always done, and we ain't changing now.) My experience is that the baby boom generation are the generation that still thinks OTA TV is 4 channels of snow, and in general can't seem to bring themselves to believe anything else. Gen Y may not know that OTA exists, but they are teachable. My generation (X) are kind of on the border. The thing is, if it catches on with the young, it will spread to the other generations over time.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
That may be somewhat true for the 66-86ers, they never had cords for the same reason that many baby boomers will be the last generation to cut the cord. (That's what we've always done, and we ain't changing now.) My experience is that the baby boom generation are the generation that still thinks OTA TV is 4 channels of snow, and in general can't seem to bring themselves to believe anything else. Gen Y may not know that OTA exists, but they are teachable. My generation (X) are kind of on the border. The thing is, if it catches on with the young, it will spread to the other generations over time.
I just got the "Do they still do that?" response again this weekend from a Walmart cashier while talking about a network I don't get OTA. And yes, she does fall into the "boomer" demographic.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I just got the "Do they still do that?" response again this weekend from a Walmart cashier while talking about a network I don't get OTA. And yes, she does fall into the "boomer" demographic.
My local Walmart has a display where they have a portable TV hooked up to an antenna. One of the older associates was impressed with the picture, but couldn't understand that, that was what OTA TV looks like now (he seemed to think the TV must have a super analog tuner in it to have no snow), or that it could be possible to get 25 channels for free.