Your Opinion – Which OTA Network Newscast, Has the Best Picture?

Chips

DTVUSA Member
I like to ask the forum. In your opinion, which OTA network has the best quality picture in their newscast? and by newscast I am asking about all the network newscast not only the nightly news. Also does it make a difference on which newscast you watch, or is the format and content of the newscast or news magazine more important then the quality of the video?

I personally think CBS puts out the most HD content in their newscast, followed by NBC and then ABC. I like to think that I watch the news for content, but I will admit I find myself watching more news on CBS and I suspect it is the quality of their video, although I prefer the nightly news on NBC for content. Also on a local basis, WGRZ in Buffalo NY is the only local newscast broadcasting in a 16.9 format (I am not sure it is HD, but it is a great picture, so it may be HD), although I prefer the content or format of the local news on WIVB, I rarely watch them anymore, so with the local news I find picture quality matters.

So in your opinion, does the video quality of news local or network matter? And which OTA network news do you feel has the most HD content ? I doubt it matters at all with overall ratings, since most people who have HD sets are not watching HD via paid TV providers, due to the extra cost.

I like to ask the forum. In your opinion, which OTA network has the best quality picture in their newscast?
CBS seems to have more affiliates with an HD newscast, and CBS Newspath gathers news from their affiliates in widescreen SD, so the number of stories on CBS news tends to fill the HD screen more often than the other networks.

The picture quality of the various local affiliates vary widely depending on the number of subchannels and the capabilities of the encoding equipment.

As for the Buffalo stations I don't believe that any of them do an HD newscast, but WGRZ has been reported to do widescreen SD. RC Forums: WGRZ Widescreen HD Newscast

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
ABC and FOX are 720p, NBC and CBS 1080i - and FOX has no national nightly news program.

Where I am at, all the channels do local news in 16:9 except FOX. And I HATE when the stations reformat stories and crop a 16:9 to 3:4 - leaving off the ends of the picture.

I'll look more closely at the news tonight.

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
CBS seems to have more affiliates with an HD newscast, and CBS Newspath gathers news from their affiliates in widescreen SD, so the number of stories on CBS news tends to fill the HD screen more often than the other networks.

The picture quality of the various local affiliates vary widely depending on the number of subchannels and the capabilities of the encoding equipment.

As for the Buffalo stations I don't believe that any of them do an HD newscast, but WGRZ has been reported to do widescreen SD. RC Forums: WGRZ Widescreen HD Newscast
well i know should not give my opinion but in here the channels do the same the studio speechs and newscasts are in HD in the channel 13, and the outdoors eports in SD with bars of color that says the channel name.,

the others channels is just 480 upscaled,

the Canal 13 HD have the best image quality in HD with minimal MPEG artifacts.

the worst is of the channel 11 upscaled and looks awful bad even with an upscaling method.

best regards
Francisco