YouTube and Viruses?

cronus

DTVUSA Member
I have just gotten into YouTube, but I have been wondering if I have to worry about getting viruses every time I watch something from that site.

I have gotten tons of redirects from Surfthechannel.com to a rogue antivirus scan but there's no virus on my machine. the same thing could happen to youtube but i haven't seen it yet. it's something in their redirects but it's so annoying to have to hit 'STOP' just before the redirect.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
I have gotten tons of redirects from Surfthechannel.com to a rogue antivirus scan but there's no virus on my machine. the same thing could happen to youtube but i haven't seen it yet. it's something in their redirects but it's so annoying to have to hit 'STOP' just before the redirect.
That's good to know. I'm still trying to figure out if some of surfthechannel.com's videos are legal myself.

Since they're not owned by the site and as far as i know they only link to sites which host the video on their own servers (the links go to anywhere from Youtube to Hulu to NBC.com and some are pay-only through Amazon and Apple iTunes) then i should say that from the best of my knowledge they are legal. nothing is stored on your local computer and you have to be online to stream it. they're not compatible with FLV downloaders either and most if not all the links are advertising-supported and have 'commercial breaks' too.

I have just gotten into YouTube, but I have been wondering if I have to worry about getting viruses every time I watch something from that site.
I've never had any problems with viruses coming from Youtube. However, you might have to be careful about clicking the links people put on their Youtube channels. That's why you want a good antivirus on your computer at all times.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Questions and Answers 0