YouTube rental movies and ""On Demand" Coming Soon!

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Netflix is just entering the streaming media biz too, it'll be interesting to see how the two will compete. I would think Google has an advantage being in the search engine business. Oh, and wow long before the Government starts to crack down on Google. That's my question.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The models are different though: Netflix is a subscription service, and will be preferred by folks who are heavy consumers. This new Google/YouTube enterprise will compete, instead, with Amazon Unbox, for the business of consumers who prefer to pay only for individual rentals that they make. However, it seems to me that Amazon charges less than what Google/YouTube plans to charge... that doesn't sound like a sound plan for entering a marketplace.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
The models are different though: Netflix is a subscription service, and will be preferred by folks who are heavy consumers. This new Google/YouTube enterprise will compete, instead, with Amazon Unbox, for the business of consumers who prefer to pay only for individual rentals that they make. However, it seems to me that Amazon charges less than what Google/YouTube plans to charge... that doesn't sound like a sound plan for entering a marketplace.
The only thing that separates Amazon Unbox from Netflix though is pay-per-view vs. monthly subscription, right? YouTube could probably go to that model too if they wanted to and compete in both categories.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I went to Neflix this morning, specifically to look for a pay-per-view option. They don't have one, and that raises the question of why. Surely it cannot be a technical consideration. I think, rather, it is because the two models might work against each other. If I want to rent (say) one disc, I really and forced to pay a minimum of $4.99, and I end up getting two discs (in succession) that way. There's no way to pay (say) $3 and get one disc.

Thomas G

Contributor
I went to Neflix this morning, specifically to look for a pay-per-view option. They don't have one, and that raises the question of why. Surely it cannot be a technical consideration. I think, rather, it is because the two models might work against each other. If I want to rent (say) one disc, I really and forced to pay a minimum of $4.99, and I end up getting two discs (in succession) that way. There's no way to pay (say) $3 and get one disc.
That kind of system tends to reward heavy users who make up a small perecentage of Netflix rentals while infrequent users end up paying more than their "money's worth" under utilizing the accounts. Wonder why they chose that rental structure or don't offer other deals for light volume renters.