Question: Zenith DTT901: worked fine, unplugged, re-plugged in, now just shows snow

iamacam

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have 2 DTV converter boxers and a splitter box so that I can watch tv while I record on my VCR.

Everything was working well until Laurel and Hardy, who were removing my window air conditioner, lost control and knocked over electronic equipment, lamps etc. I have everything back in place and working with the exception of the dtv converter box for the television set. (The VCR and its converter box work as before.)

The television is set to channel 4, same as before the accident, but:

the television screen remains snowy, and doesn't show the usual blue screen even though the dtv converter box turns on and seems to respond appropriately to the remote control. When I press the buttons, either on the remote or on the converter itself, the blue light on the dtv blinks for the normal duration but nothing happens on the screen.

All the hook-ups appear to be the same as before and I've tried switching to channel 3. It seems like the converter box needs to go through the initial setup program again, but I'm just guessing.

Can anyone help me?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Doesn't snow usually indicate a bad converter box? Usually if a cable is bad, you can still see the menu screen and maneuver around to do another channel scan. Iamacam, can you get anything to display when you turn your converter box? At least a menu screen?

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
When you turn the converter box on, the power indicator lights up doesn't it? It's odd that you are seeing snow. Are you sure you have the TV tuned to channel 2 or channel 4 to view what's on the converter box? Is the converter connected directly to the TV or through a VCR too?

SWHouston

Staff member
When hooking up a system as you have described, you can only feed one of the Boxs to your TV via a Coax, the other must feed into one of your A/V (composite) connector groups.
Select the appropriate A/V input on your TV (F1/R1/Aux) and try to get a signal through that source.
Then, when getting one of the Boxs to work, then change them out, to see if one of the Boxs is bad.
You will find the appropriate A/V setting, between channel 2 and 125, or the highest Channel number the TV will display.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

iamacam

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for your questions. The converter is connected to the tv. It doesn't go through the VCR. The box that is connected through the VCR works fine and I'm now using it to watch tv or for recording. Somehow, it feels like the tv isn't tuned to an appropriate channel. Channel 3 used to work, then it didn't (about a month ago) and I changed to channel 4. I'll take a look at the connection of the converter to the tv and the antenna.

iamacam

DTVUSA Jr. Member
SWHouston
Thanks for your suggestion. I don't know what an "A/V (composite) connector group" is, but I see L1, R5, or Aux on my VCR display when I'm rewinding or playing a tape. Going back to check the tv and to make sure that my antenna (which also got knocked about) is properly aligned with the tv tuner.

cam

SWHouston

Staff member
The A/V connector groups are where you stick your cables in to view/record.
They usually are on the back of your TV/VCR, and provide you with better picture quality, than does just a Coax connection.

Look at this first.
This is a drawing of wiring sequence for an A/V connection.

Line Drawing of composite wiring route for Converter/VCR/TV

Then, here are some possible connections for the whole system

Others...

S.W.

iamacam

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks SWHouston for the explanation and diagrams.

After making sure that all the connections were as they should be and that nothing seemed to be wrong with the converter box, it turned out that the A/B switch is the problem. It works neither on A nor on B. But as I moved it slowly between the two, suddenly the converter box worked on channel 4. This was as it had been before the accident. A new A/B switch seems to be the answer.

Thanks to all, you saved me the cost of a new converter box.
CAM

SWHouston

Staff member
Glad I could help, and keep in mind...
You don't have to get out of your chair to operate one of those.
They make ones with Remote Controls.

S.W.