Zenith v DTVPal

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I purchased the Zenith DTT901 a few days ago and really like it and would recommend it over the DTVPal that I bought today, and returned.

Here's some of the reasons why.

1) Both have analog pass-thru but the dtvpal must be plugged in for the pass-thru feature to work. That's not the case with the zenith. When the zenith converter is unplugged from the 110 outlet the signal goes right from the antenna to the tv.

2) The Zenith converter has a metal housing while the dtvpal has a plastic one and it looks and feels like a toy.

3) While both the zenith and dtvpal converters found 24 stations in this area (that's 5 more than my digital tv's tuner picks up), the weaker stations are far more stable on the zenith unit.

4) The dtvpal has no on-off switch or channel changer on the box itself, only on the remote (I knew that before I bought it). So if the remote goes dead the converter box is worthless.

Now here's a knock or two against the zenith model.

1) Neither box reproduced as good an image as one can get from a digital tv without a converter box. Both converters make the image look a bit washed out.

2) The dtvpal box has a 24 hour program guide while the zenith one only shows what you're watching now and what's on next.

The dtvpal program guide is an awesome feature but imo the rest of it is junk.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting! Seems odd that that something like an older VCR have a pass through feature for antenna or cable, yet, the DTVPal doesn't? Great observation.

Also, the EPG (Program Guide) is a huge negative!

Very interesting! Seems odd that that something like an older VCR have a pass through feature for antenna or cable, yet, the DTVPal doesn't? Great observation.

Also, the EPG (Program Guide) is a huge negative!
ok which dtvpal did you buy the dtvpal or the dtvpal plus:) I have the plus which has a 7 day epg and works really well on weak signals but it's tuner was upgraded from the dtvpal. just wondering.:)

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
ok which dtvpal did you buy the dtvpal or the dtvpal plus:) I have the plus which has a 7 day epg and works really well on weak signals but it's tuner was upgraded from the dtvpal. just wondering.:)
I wish I had wrote the model number down but it couldn't have been the plus since the epg only showed a days worth of programming.

BTW I bought it from K-Mart which also sells the Zenith dtt901 and a Magnavox model. Both are $50 each and the Dtvpal goes for $60 there.