Zero, Zilch, Zip Reception

NyxNox

DTVUSA Rookie
I currently get one analog station with amplified rabbit ears. I bought a converter box, and I get no digital signal. I went to tvfool, and even with a fifteen foot antenna, all of the stations except one that I do not even recognize (it is not a network station) are in the gray zone, indicating that I will have to take extreme measures to get TV come February 17. I called the FCC, and the broadcast stations which are over a hundred miles from my house, and I think I am out of luck. Neither the cable provider nor the satellite providers for my area provide a service for just the network stations. I really cannot afford to subscribe to a TV "Package" that it seems would only be the solution. So, I have two questions.
1. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? (What are extreme measures?)
2. Is there any contingency plan for the EBS?

see deep fringe prescription in this part of the forum\
also increase the height in tvfool very twenty feet triples the signal, try setting the antenna 20 to 25 feet off the ground maybe even 30 feet this may increase your chances

Last edited:

Chickie

DTVUSA Member
i live 28 miles from the city and i dont get ************ except cbs

go figure
I hear that! I am approximately 20 miles from the nearest broadcast antenna's in two different states (I live on the border) and sometimes I get my state's TV and sometimes the other state's TV broadcast and sometimes both but usually one is better than the other, depending on the weather and if it's windy...

I live in an apartment complex. I can't mount a tall antenna at all! I am surrounded by very tall pine tree's in all directions. I get better reception in my bedroom (and that room is located next to an adjoining building) but the TV in the living room, next to the sliding balcony doors and parking lot barely gets any digital reception, no matter what I do with the antenna!

I'm really aggravated by all of this!! That I'm going to have to start subscribing to Direct TV at $90.00 a month just to watch TV! I'm unemployed and can't afford it, even if I split the bill with my working son. He can afford it but I'm on a fixed income right now and even if I get DTV, we all know the price will keep going up. :(

I hear that! I am approximately 20 miles from the nearest broadcast antenna's in two different states (I live on the border) and sometimes I get my state's TV and sometimes the other state's TV broadcast and sometimes both but usually one is better than the other, depending on the weather and if it's windy...

I live in an apartment complex. I can't mount a tall antenna at all! I am surrounded by very tall pine tree's in all directions. I get better reception in my bedroom (and that room is located next to an adjoining building) but the TV in the living room, next to the sliding balcony doors and parking lot barely gets any digital reception, no matter what I do with the antenna!

I'm really aggravated by all of this!! That I'm going to have to start subscribing to Direct TV at $90.00 a month just to watch TV! I'm unemployed and can't afford it, even if I split the bill with my working son. He can afford it but I'm on a fixed income right now and even if I get DTV, we all know the price will keep going up. :(
if your son is handy have him make a couple of the you tube bow tie antennas out of coat hangers or cooper wire place one on the balcony and run coax to the tv see what happens, or hang it on the wall behind the tv, alot of people rave about them they are higher gain than rabbit ear antennas.:)

Chickie

DTVUSA Member
if your son is handy have him make a couple of the you tube bow tie antennas out of coat hangers or cooper wire place one on the balcony and run coax to the tv see what happens, or hang it on the wall behind the tv, alot of people rave about them they are higher gain than rabbit ear antennas.:)
Great idea, cowboyup4christ ! Thanks! ;)

I will try that as soon as the weather warms up... right now it's about 19 degree's F outside and a blizzard is heading this way!

Although we talked about it last night and I reminded him about the pending February 23rd cut off date and he said that after the 1st of the month that he'd be in better shape financially for us to order DTV. (He just came back from a week long skiing trip). So, I think that's what we're going to do but I will also make one of those copper wire bow tie antenna for my bd rm. There is no cable hook up in that room. BTW? I can make it myself!! :D