Zinwell 970 vs 950?

Lurker Lee

DTVUSA Member
I'm pretty nontechnical when it comes to converter boxes, but since I just finally got approved for my coupons (let the last ones expire) I figured it was time to start investigating.

I've seen the Zinwell ZAT-970A mentioned several places, but then while researching that, saw the 950A mentioned. One blog said the 950A is the newer version of the 970A (which seemed counter intuitive since it's a smaller number, but what do I know). It claimed that the 950 has the vcr timer and the 970 doesn't, although I saw another site that said it does.

Can anyone shed some light on the difference? I would want the one with the vcr timer. (I do have cable in most of the house and a Motorola dvr, but figured this would be handy in the part of the house that doesn't have it, as and I could also put a my old Panasonic dvr there for just in case there I want to record a third program).

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
They both have a built in VCR timer. You can see all the specs here
Comparison of CECB units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm pretty nontechnical when it comes to converter boxes, but since I just finally got approved for my coupons (let the last ones expire) I figured it was time to start investigating.

I've seen the Zinwell ZAT-970A mentioned several places, but then while researching that, saw the 950A mentioned. One blog said the 950A is the newer version of the 970A (which seemed counter intuitive since it's a smaller number, but what do I know). It claimed that the 950 has the vcr timer and the 970 doesn't, although I saw another site that said it does.

Can anyone shed some light on the difference? I would want the one with the vcr timer. (I do have cable in most of the house and a Motorola dvr, but figured this would be handy in the part of the house that doesn't have it, as and I could also put a my old Panasonic dvr there for just in case there I want to record a third program).

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Lee, The 950A has a AM/PM clock instead of a 24 hour clock, but I think the 950 comes with a improved tuner too, and according to the Wiki, it's definitely a different manufacture for the tuner. Also, there's difference between the ZAT-950 and ZAT-950A, which is analog passthru (on the ZAT-950A).

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
There's a popular misconception on the net that the ZAT950 has a 7 day EPG, which it does not!
It must really be a misconception.;) Programming the timer is listed on page 11 of the Zinwell ZAT950 user manual.
http://zinnetusa.com/download/zat-950A/Manual-ZAT-950A-IB02990699-0-20080902.pdf
The only difference between the ZAT950 and ZAT970 is the type of tuner they used. I don't know from experience, but I trust the information from the manufacturer.
ZINNET Inc.

Give the user manual pdf file time to load. It is slow.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
I opened it up and the 970 uses a Sanyo tuner. The 950 I got from work uses a Microtune chip. I guess they saw the reception improvement for the chip on the DTVPal Plus, and changed it out.

I switched out a 970 for a 950 at one TV in this house as the 970 froze up in a high line noise location - the picture kept breaking up to the point of the box actually freezing, not responding to the remote. So the score for tuning on this 970 box drops a bit.

The remote also was changed - the 970's remote has a Digital/Analog button, whereas the 950's remote had this button eliminated as the power button does the same thing.

I think the number refers to the gram weight of the box and remote itself.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
The remote also was changed - the 970's remote has a Digital/Analog button, whereas the 950's remote had this button eliminated as the power button does the same thing.
Div,
if the 950's power is off to make it operational as a analog passthrough, how do you change the channel for analog stations? Or does it use the TV's NTSC?